Pulled out Bleeding Stiches 10 Months After Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had revision rhinoplasty 10 months ago. Recently a dog ran full force with his head into my nose causing a sharp pain. Nose swelled a bit, but subsided by weeks end. However this morning nose started bleeding in both nostrils. Tried to stop bleeding & noticed stich came out on finger-same case in other nostril. Stiches set deeper & low-appeared to come from same spot on both sides. I'm worried stiches were bleeding so long post-op. Will tip/nostrils move out of place & heal in different shape?

Pulled out bleeding stitches 10 months after revision rhinoplasty?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the trauma you experienced. After 10 months, your nose is strong and the bones are long healed (if they were fractured during surgery). The nose bleed may be an indication of:

1) An injury sustained to the nose
2) Another issue that needs attention

An exam by a specialist is advised to make sure everything is ok. If the bleeding is a result of stitches being dislodged, then this is something your surgeon would need to look at. Depending on what was performed during your revision, your nose may even have more support than it did before. Trauma has the potential to make the nose appear irregular, but this is not something that can be predicted. I would recommend having your nose examined, and going from there. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty Expectations

+1

There are not too many sutures that would be expected to extrude this far after surgery.  However, the good news is that most of the structures are so well secured that you likely have not changed your outcome.

All surgeons welcome and even rely on their patients to keep them informed, and look forward to helping you with any questions that come up for you during your entire recovery from a rhinoplasty.  

I consider follow up after a rhinoplasty to be 5 years.

You should contact your surgeon and even schedule a follow up appointment for a very quick exam.  You will be reassured and it will give your surgeon a chance to take a victory lap!

Best regards, 

Dr. Todd Hobgood

toddhobgood.com

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pulled out Bleeding Stitches 10 Months After Revision Rhinoplasty?

+1

I think that after 10 months the scar and the result should be stable.  The dog may have caused damage by impact alone.  Please have your surgeon examine your nose.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA