Puffy Areolas: Is There a Fix? (photo)

I'm 21. I have always liked my breast's size and shape, however my nipples have always caused an insecurity for me. Do I have options to getting them flattened out? How big/small of a procedure is it? What causes puffy nipples? If in the future I decided to get implants,would that effect the way my areolas stick out?

Puffy areola fix

+1

Another option would be to have a periareolar mastopexy which is a variant of the Benelli procedure...it involves less undermining of the surrounding skin and works very well for your anatomy and issues...keep in mind that if you have breast augmentation at a later date, you will need to redo the mastopexy if you want to keep the scar along the areolar border...two options would be to do the breast augmentation at the time of the mastopexy through the same scar, or to use a separate incision at a later date.

Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Pouty Nipples

+1

Your pouty or puffy nipples can be treated by a circumferential (Benelli) mastopexy.  The reduction of your areolar is necessary to correct the poutiness of your nipples.   The problem is that your breast tissue has herniated into your nipples due to weak retaining collagenous structures.  Reduction of the areolar size will allow tightening of your dermis, the area just below the skin, and this will correct your pouty nipples.  This is done using, among other things, undermining of the skin around your nipple and a permanent suture placed at the edge of your new, smaller areolar.  All of this will lift your breast to some extent. 

With reference to your question about implants and whether the poutiness will return, that is a difficult question and one that should be answered in a face to face consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Puffy Areola Treatment Options ?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.
Areola reduction  involves  circumferentially removing areola  skin  around a smaller areola design. This procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia. It is often  done as part of a brest augmenation/lift,  breast lift or  breast reduction  procedure, but can be done as a stand alone procedure.
You should be aware that despite best efforts scarring will be visible and potentially abnormal ( possibly thick, raised and/or pigmented).  Some areola  asymmetry may also  be present after surgery.   Their  is  a small chance that you may lose sensation.
As with all plastic surgical procedures, you must weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks/complications  while making these decisions.

Puffy Areolas: Is There a Fix?

+1

Thanks for posting the photos. I agree with Dr Rieger in theory, but I would "debunk" the areolar tissue through an inferior -3 to 9 o'clock incision of the areolar. Your sequealae could be inability to breast feed, effect on sensation. Seek in person evaluations/discussions to fully understand the operation under local. 

Correction of puffy areola shape.

+1

Thank you for your question.  You may be surprised at how many young women have the same breast areola shape as you do.  This is a simple version of what may be termed a tuberous areola-breast shape.  The correction of this breast shape is to perform a circular incision around the areola.  Allthough this will leave you with a scar that fully surrounds the areola, the improvement  will be very beneficial to  your breast shape.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

What can be done puffy areola?

+1

Puffy areola can be improved by an areolar reduction which would leave a scar all the way around and a permanent suture for a few months. This should affect breast surgery in the future.

I hope this helps

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS