Puffed Up Muscle Repair Area. What is Wrong?

Why does this happen when I sit down? I am only 2 weeks post op. I had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair

Persistent skin laxity after tummy tuck in lower abdomen

+1

There are many reasons for this. TYpically loss of elasticity that is seen with age, sun exposure, massive weight gain/loss, pregnancy may be more noticeable when you bend over or sit down and will not always be eradicated with a tummy tuck alone.

You should wait longer than 2 weeks to assess the amount of swelling

+1

Swelling (edema) after a tummy tuck is normal, particularly if you had liposuction at the same time. Altough you show some bunching of your abdominal skin when sitting up at 90 degrees, I will bet that your abdomen is much flatter when standing...even two weeks after your surgery. Be patient, the swelling will subside.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+1

You are only 2 weeks post op! It is way too early to assess results at this stage. Swelling is expected and can last for months or longer after Tummy Tuck surgery. Be patient! Follow your doctor's advice and I wouldn't even start to assess this in the sitting position before 6-8 weeks. Follow a healthy diet as well, any weight gain while you are on exercise restriction will negatively affect results.

Hayley Brown, MD

Swelling Normal After Tummy Tuck

+1

It is not unusual for some women after an abdominoplasty to still feel they have excess tissue that should have been removed.  At two weeks, you are still very early in the healing process, and therefore, have alot of edema and swelling in the tissues.  Because of that, the tissues may appear more lax at this point.  You really need a good 3-4 months of healing and recovery until you csn make a final judgement.  Be patient, and allow everything to change as it should.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon