If a filler is injected a short time before a "drains -requiring- Facelift" wouldn't the filler ooze out with the plasma too?

My Mom will have a facelift surgery in two months. Her Surgeon is also urging her to have a 3 syringes application of the facial filler "Voluma" BEFORE her facelift, as there is a promotion of Voluma by Allergen, that will end soon. When my Mom told me that her immediate status post-facelift will have "drainage", my immediate concern was that the "Voluma" filler would actually be wasted as it would ooze out with the fluids & plasma once the drains are placed after her facelift! Am I wrong?

Fillers and Facelifts

+4
I usually recommend waiting until healing from surgery is complete before placing fillers.  The improvements achieved by a facelift often reduces the need for fillers.  It can also change the emphasis for where they may be most effective.

Drains, face lift and Voluma

+4
Thank you for your face lift and Voluma question.
  • Voluma is typically injected along the cheek bone, inner eye and cheek hollow.
  • It is thick and stable and should not drain out with post-face lift drains.
  • But - the plan is fine, IF the Voluma is being injected in areas where the facelift will not be done.
  • If the face lift is being done in the same areas - I would be inclined to wait. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Face lift and fillers

+3
When performing a facelift there is a subcutaneous dissection that occurs into the cheek area and due to surgery in the area, some of the filler substance may dissipate. A properly  performed face lift will also give a small augmentation to the malar mound area. When patients are performing a facelift, and desire more augmentation in the mid-face area, we recommend permanent cheek implants placed through an intra-oral approach at the same time as the facelift procedure. Filler injections will not be required afterwards. For many examples, please see  the link below

Face Lift and Fillers - Which first?

+2
Within several days to a few weeks the fillers should be "fixed" in their place so should not be a problem. However unless they are being placed in areas not affected by the facelift it would make more sense to place the fillers after healing takes place from the facelift. More areas would be affected with a traditional facelift as it involves more undermining that a mini facelift like a Lite Lift.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Voluma and facelift surgery

+2
Any fillers placed before surgery are very unlikely come out through the drainage tubes. The fillers are usually placed in very strategic places within the tissues, and is often away from where one would dissect during a facelift procedure.

Having said that, I would definitely wait several weeks after the filler treatment, or even better wait until she is fully recovered from the facelift procedure, before placing the fillers.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Facial fillers

+2
The short answer to your question is No, however as others have stated, it assumes that the filler is not being injected in the same area that is being operated on. Voluma is FDA approved for filing the cheeks and under eyelid area and can be a good adjunct to a facelift. In my opinion, if she would benefit from fillers in that area, they she should consider getting fat transfer at same time as her facelift.

+2
Voluma should not drain out after a facelift as it is placed deeper than most other fillers. This does depend upon where Voluma is placed and what type of facelift is performed. However, the filler would typically be placed in an area that will not be operated if your plastic surgeon is planning a facelift in the hear future. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers are placed in an area that is not elevated and not drained

+1
That is a very good question and I know you would be concerned about losing the injectibles that were placed in the drain. Usually the fillers are placed in an area that is not elevated and not drained, so they, in the vast majority of cases stay put and would not come out with the drains. Good question, but I think you are safe.

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon