Puckering on Chin Incision 2 Weeks Post Op, Will It Smooth Out?

I am two weeks out from neck lift surgery. Behind my chin incision, I have deep puckering to my neck. I think this was a traditional lift as he cut me behind the ears. Did something go wrong, or will it eventially smooth out?

Neck Lift Chin Incision Puckering Will Smooth With Massage

+4

It is quite normal for there to be some puckering of the chin incision after a Neck Lift. Typically massage will smooth this out. Be sure to see your surgeon. He/she may want to treat the scar with silicone sheeting or topical medication or laser.

Puckering concern

+1

It is difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.  Some puckering is very common and typically improves with time and massage.

Sam Naficy, MD

Ask the surgeon if skin was removed at the chin incision ... if so then

+1

Hi Judy4040,

Most likely the puckered incision will continue to improve since you are so soon after surgery.  I don't like to remove skin from the incision under the chin, because it could potentially cause puckering on the ends of the incision, but not in the middle.  The more skin that was removed, the greater the puckering.  If I only remove less than 1/4" of skin at this chin incision, then I don't think it will do much to help remove skin from the neck area; therefore, I don't typically remove skin from the chin incision.  

If your surgeon did remove skin from the chin incision location, then most likely the puckered areas are called "dog ears" or Standing Cone Deformities or SCDs.  Why does this happen?  If you have a circular piece of paper, and you cut a thin pie shaped wedge from it, and tape the cut edges together, the circle will star to form a cone.  If you cut 1/4 of the circle away and tape the cut edges together, this will make a significant cone.  SInce skin is elastic, these cones will usually flatten, especially if they are flat to begin with.  If the cones stick out a lot, then it may improve, but a small amount of the puckering may remain on the ends of the incision. 

I hope that makes sense.  If you have more questions, please feel free to follow up with another question.

Dr. Yang

George Yang, MD

A puckered chin incision should even out with time

+1

It can take up to a few months for incisions to even out. If the incision site remains thick a steroid injection may help to facilitate the healing process and make it go down quicker. Without an actual picture to look at it is difficult to give a thorough analysis. I would follow up with your surgeon. Regardless, patience and a tincture of time is often the most appropriate treatment plan.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Skin is puckered after neck lift

+1

The skin puckering after the neck lift will often smooth out as the area heals and recovers. Chances are best if you did have a full face and neck lift.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Puckering of chin incision should smooth out with time.

+1

Photos or better yet an actual exam would help in the evaluation of this problem.  That said, 2 weeks is very early to make any determination of the final outcome.  Patience and time will correct many of the early small irregularities seen after surgery.  Follow up with your surgeon and voice your concerns.  Your surgeon is in the best position to advise you.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Puckering Chin incision

+1

Without an examination much less a photograph, it is impossible to advise you. Your surgeon is in the best position to tell you if what our are seeing s normal healing or a complication. In most cases local scar massage and time often and smooth most scars. Check with your surgeon.