Puckering After Labiaplasty

I had a labiaplasty a few years ago. I am not sure if it was trim or wedge method. Initially the result looked perfect, but during healing I was instructed to apply constant pressure for 8 weeks to the area to avoid bulging / puckering of scar tissue. This was very difficult to do and unfortunately it did end up healing slightly bulgy and puckered. To correct this, would another surgery be necessary - or could applying constant pressure for a few weeks even now that is is healed still work?

Puckering after labiaplasty

+1

Best thing to do is ask the surgeon who performed the surgery to help you understand why you have puckering, if it is reversible and what can be done to correct it. You can always get a second opinion if you are not satisfied with the answers.

Puckering of scar tissue can occur

+1

After a year or more, the puckering you have will likely not change on its own,  It might be possible to do a small revision and you should speak to your doctor about this!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty revision treatment

+1

If you still have puckering several years after labiaplasty, you will likely require a surgical procedure to improve your result.  It would be possible to do a revision under local anesthesia with minimal discomfort and fast healing.

Labia reduction recovery

+1
Since you are a few years out of surgery, at this point, no amount of pressure will change the appearance of the area. Further excision may be necessary to remove excess tissue or to smoothen out the contour. Physical examination is critical to giving good advice.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_labialreduction.htm

Labiaplasty Puckering, Distortion and Pressure

+1

Hi kwhoo,

I am not aware of the use of pressure to mold a result; in fact, I think that's a little unusual.  I am even less knowledgeable about the use of pressure to try to change the result at this relatively late stage (there are other procedures where that is done, such as using a chest strap to help lower breast implants - but that's an entirely different anatomical situation).

I suspect that you would, in fact, need a small surgical procedure (a revision) in order to accomplish what you're talking about, and it may or may not be worth going through another procedure, even though revisions of this type are typically much less involved that the primary procedures.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Pressure?

+1

I don't know who did your surgery but the pressure request sounds unusual. Anything going on at this late stage will require surgery to improve.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

"Puckering" of the labia after labiaplasty

+1

If a large amount of tissue was removed, especially with the trim method, it may result in some puckering of the scar if it was not closed with great care. It can happen. But even with great care, there is a chance of this happening. It usually will not be resolved with pressure. The ending result is generally from the surgeon’s technique. Providing a picture will give a me a clearer image of what you are describing.

Labialplasty

+1

If there is excess scarring, then cortisone injection should help. If there is still excess tissue or uneveness, then further excision and contouring could improve the area.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Puckering years after labiaplasty.

+1

Since it has been a few years, and the puckering has been consistant it sounds like you may need a revision.  If there is enough labia minora to decrease, your surgeon may want to revise your surgery.  Please keep in mind, you don't want your labia to be too short, this will cause you more problems than the puckering.  I avoid the wedge technique, as the result is very unnatural. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/other-procedures-chicago/vaginal-surgery/

Scar Changes Not Likely After A Year

+1

Unfortunately, if it has been a few years after your labiaplasty, the scars are really not going to change at all.  At this point, you would probably need a revision of the labiaplasty to get a smoother, less bumpy/puckered scar.  This should be able to be done under sedation and local anesthesia.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon