Will Pubic Hair Grow Back After Tummy Tuck?

Prior to my tummy tuck some of my pubic hair had fallen out and did not grow. I assume this was due to the overhang of excess skin which rubbed on my pubic bone. Will it grow again? Is there anything I can do to encourage it to grow? I am 56 years old.

Pubic Hair Growth After Tummy Tuck

You were losing your hair prior to your tummy tuck and it was most likely not related to your hanging skin. I would not expect your hair to return after the procedure.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

4825 Olson Memorial Highway (Hwy 55)
Minneapolis, MN 55422

Will pubic hair regrow after a tummy tuck?

A tummy tuck should have no effect on pubic hair growth.  Pubic hair diminishes with age and it is unfortunately not likely to be reversible.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

495 Central Park Avenue
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Your Hair May Grow Back

The hair may grow back.  It depends on the hair follicles and if the are viable.  This will take time to determine.  If growth does not occur within 6 months then the hair regrowth is not likely.

Miguel Delgado, MD

450 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

Pubic hair loss after tummy tuck

Rubbing from skin excess is not known as a cause of hair loss in the pubic area, and we feel the thinning and loss is more likely due to age, a very common occurrence. It is doubtful that the hair will grow back now that you have completed a tummy tuck.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Tummy Tuck & Pubic Hair

A tummy tuck should have little, if any, effect on the future growth of your pubic hair, if performed correctly.  It sounds as if your pubic hair had diminished prior to your tummy tuck.  I would not expect the tummy tuck per se to lead to an increase of your hair growth.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207

Tummy tuck

If you are already having some hair loss before surgery, it is unlikely that that lost hair will come back.  It is just the natural aging process. 

There is really nothing that can be done at this stage to encourage hair growth in that area.  Usually it is not recommend to use any skin creams, or medications that promote hair growth in that area. There are no surgical procedures that many physicians would recommend.

Shashidhar Kusuma, MD
Plantation Plastic Surgeon

205 SW 84 Ave.
Plantation, Florida 33324