Do I Have Eyelid Ptosis? (Photos)

I've had uneven eyes ever since I was born and as grew older my eyesight has gotten worse and worse. I'm 18 now and I was wondering if I had ptosis or what?

Right upper eyelid lower than left

+1

Based on your photos, it appears your right upper eyelid is lower than the left. During an examination in person, I would lift the skin which is folded overs I could see your pupil in relation to the eyelid margin. In the general population, the difference in height between the eyes can be about 2 mm and still look natural. If the ptosis is something new, you should see an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon for a proper evaluation.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is there ptosis in Asian eyelid

+1

Your right eye is definitely weaker than the other eye. Ptosis has a specific definition that requires an in person evaluation. For the purposes of double eyelid surgery (if that is the basis of your question), based on the photograph, it would be fair to say that your right eye will need special care in order to obtain a symmetric result. 

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Eye lid ptosis

+1

Eye lid ptosis can be ONLY diagnosed and measured by in person examination. Pictures can be at different guaze, and that is not reliable. consult a ophthalmologist or a baord certified plastic surgeon

Surgery to correct ptosis in the Asian eyelid

+1

Hello kldg,

You certainly do have some ptosis of your right lid.  It is difficult to say without an exam exactly what kind but the photos do help a great deal.   I see this often in my practice.  As a surgeon who operates almost exclusively on Asian patients you're looking at more than one potential contributor to your problem.

1.  If it's been life-long you may have congenital weakness of what's called the levator muscle.  With age this worsens.  It looks like you do have some movement of the right upper lid (so not a complete weakness) but a lack of a crease on your right lid which brings me to the next possibility.

2.  Levator dehiscence (disconnection).  This is a condition (with or without weakness of the muscular component) in which the non-muscular component of the levator that is normally attached to the under surface of the skin is not well attached.  This means that when you open your eye or look up the levator is not pulling the eyelid up AND it is not pulling in on the skin which allows for an absent or weaker looking eyelid crease in addition to the ptosis you have.  This seems more likely for you.

3.  Congenital abscence of your levator.  In this case your eyelid wouldn't really move at all with upward gaze.  I don't think you have this.

As an Asian there are special considerations in how you are repaired.  It needs to funtion well but look great.

So, in your case you need to repair the ptosis and recreate a crease that matches the left lid or repair the ptosis and crease new creases on both sides that you desire.  In the hands of an experienced facial and oculoplastic surgeon who operates on Asians this is a good treatment for you.

Hope that helps and best of luck,

Dr. Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you have right upper eyelid ptosis.

+1

WIthout a personal consultation, it is not possible to be more detailed.  What we are looking for is what type of ptosis you have and what surgical approach would be best for correcting your particular situation.  Often both eyelids have some degree of ptosis with one worse than the other.  In correcting you upper eyelid ptosis is essential that you double folds in the eyelids be preserved or enhanced.