Left eye is smaller than the right: Do I have ptosis? (photo)

I noticed that my left eye is smaller than my right eye a year ago. My eye was never like this before. When I look at old pictures they look equal. When I smile in pictures now its noticeable. I've also noticed that the whole left side of my face looks different than my right. I also don't think it was like that when I was younger. I'm only 16 years old and I'm afraid it will get worse. I'm also very self conscious about it and try to not let people see the left side of my face. Help?

16 y.o. with eyelid ptosis

+1
Thank you for the photos. It sounds by your description that you may have drooping, (ptosis) of the eyelid. This can be fixed in most cases. Each patient is different. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon. they will listen to you and do an exam to see if you need another operation to raise your eyelid. Your parents obviously need to be part of this decision.

Yes You Have Eylid Ptosis, See An Ophthamologist

+1

Thank you for your email question.You are very observant. The right upper eyelid covers part of the iris the colored part of your pupil which is the diagnostic characteristic of eyelid ptosis.

Because this is a new onset of unilateral or one-sided ptosis is very important that you seek consultation with a board certified ophthalmologist to discover the cause of your ptosis.

Please see consultation with an ophthalmologist soon so that a cause may be found.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

New onset eyelid ptosis in teenager

+1

You definitely do have right upper eyelid ptosis. You should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic specialist to find the cause. Once stable, eyelid ptosis surgery can be considered.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis of the Eyelid

+1

Ptosis ( Upper Lid Lag) has many causes. It is caused by one of many things - trauma, congenital, botox, etc.

It is best to have an evaluation by a qualified Plastic Surgeon or Opthamologist who specializes in plastic surgery.

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

What is ptosis and how to evaluate it

+1

You do appear to have ptosis of your right eye. We quantify this by measuring the distance between the light reflex from the camera flash to the lower edge of your upper eyelid.

I would recommend you be evaluated by your local ophthalmologist/oculoplastic surgeon. Ptosis can have different causes and you should have a thorough evaluation before you consider surgery.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, this is ptosis.

+1

Generally it is helpful to have this carefully assessed. The decision to go forward with surgery is a little more complicated that you and your parents can consider once all the appropriate information has been gathered. Generally you will want to see a board certified ophthalmologist who is fellowship trained in oculoplastic surgeon. Marc Cohen, M.D., a realself surgeon who practices in Voorhees, NJ and who would be very qualified to assess you and offer surgery if this made sense for you situation.