Age 20, just started wearing glasses and contacts: Do I Have Ptosis? (photo)

Hi, I am 20 years old and have noticed a problem with my eyes in photographs. I am not sure what is wrong with them. At the beginning of the year I started wearing glasses and contacts. (-1.00). I went back to my photos and it seems in my school photographs my left eye has been slightly smaller since grade 7. I was also diagnosed with Crohns disease in grade 7 (unsure if related) and am on various medications for the condition.

Probably not ptosis

+1

thank you for the photographs

number one I have to say to really differentiate this tween ptosis or something else you need to see a good ophthalmologist in particular someone who specializes in surgical reconstruction of the orbit and eyelids.

Anyways, it looks more like your left eye sits slightly further back and slightly lower than the right eye. I have surgically corrected this numerous times but in just about every instance I have encouraged the patient's to deeply explore this issue and see whether not it's worth it to them. However, in cases where this was caused by trauma, cancer and radiation or some otherexternal factor then I see it as more of a necessity.

Your orbital floor may need to be enhanced or augmented. Best of luck to you and get a number of consultations as it is difficult to give great information over the Internet.

Chase Lay, MD
double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

No, you have pseudoptosis.

+1

The eyelids are not droopy.  The left eye sits a little lower in your face than the right side so you see a little more left upper eyelid.  However both eyelids appear to sit at the same level on the eye itself.