Tired, droopy eyes: Do I Have Ptosis? (photo)

I have been told my quite a few people that I always look high and/or sleepy. My eyes tend to droop down and I am quite self conscious about it. I have done a lot of research and I think I may have a mild case of ptosis. It's not so bad that it interferes with my vision but none the less I think I have a mild case of it. Any feedback would much appreciated! Thanks!

Eyelid Ptosis

+1

From the photo you are submitting, it is difficult to determine if you have ptosis.  You would need to take the photo in neutral gaze without any expression.  It is best to have someone take the photo for you.  Also, if it is bad enough, vision may be affected. Ideally, you would see an Occuloplastic, Facial Plastic or Plastic Surgeon to help determine this and then seek a surgeon who specializes in repair of ptosis.  

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mild ptosis

+1

From the photo you are presenting, it suggests mild ptosis, but this is complicated by the fact that you are smiling in the photo. Smiling will naturally lower the position of the upper eyelids, so it is not the idea way to evaluate your eyelid position.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis?

+1

Thank you for your photo.  It is not clear enough to see your pupil.  The relationship of the pupil to the upper lid is one way to determine ptosis.  You should seek opinion from a plastic surgeon or an oculoplastic surgeon with experience with ptosis repair.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Eyelid ptosis

+1

Your photo does suggest that you have ptosis.  The photo angle appears to be taken from below eye level which can make it appear that you have ptosis even it you don't.  However based on you description and photo I suspect you do have lid ptosis.  This problem can have a few different causes which can determine the most appropriate treatment. A consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon will help determine the cause and the most appropriate treatment.

Jeffrey Thaxton, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

+1

It does appear that you have some eyelid ptosis.  But it is best to have a formal exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon who has experience and training in this issue. Best of luck.

Dean Fardo, MD

Upper eyelid ptosis

+1

Yes it does appear that you have upper eyelid ptosis.  A physical examination would be needed to determine the degree of the problem.  The condition can be surgically corrected. 

Do I have eyelid ptosis?

+1

It is sometimes difficult to tell on a single photograph, especially as it looks like you are looking down a bit. However, with the history and the photo you have provided it does appear that you have eyelid ptosis on both sides, the right side more than the left. I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon who is comfortable with ptosis surgery for evaluation.

Shannon O'Brien, MD

Eyelid ptosis

+1

Yes, you do have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis, right greater than left. There are various causes for it, but likely congenital in your case. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

? eyelid ptosis

+1

You appear to have ptosis.  I would suggest a work up.

Notably, your brow is lower on the left side as is the lid.  You need ton establish if this is a mechanical ptosis (due to brow or some other factor), or perhaps congenital, or even a nerve problem.  Also, it may be the way the pic was taken.

good luck.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD