A few months ago I noticed that my left eyelid was lower than the right one. Do I Have Ptosis?

A few months ago I noticed that my left eyelid was lower than the right one. I didn't think much of it a first and hoped it would go away on it's own. Since then, it has only gotten worse. It seems to be worse when I am tired. It is really frustrating and embarrassing and I am worried that it will never go away. Is surgery usually effective?

You certainly have ptosis on the left side.

+3

The reality is that you most likely have ptosis in both eyelids but make a greater effort to elevate the right upper eyelid.  An eyelid surgeon would most likely assess both of the eyelids before making a recommendation for addressing the heaviness seen in the left eyelid.  The reason is that if only the left side is fixed, this might expose the ptosis in the right upper eyelid.  For this reason a consultation will investigate this issue and the surgeon might recommend that both side be addressed surgically.

Needs farther evaluation

+1
Unilateral ptosis ( which appears what you have from the picture) need to have a complete ophthalmic workup. The reason is this type of ptosis, could be a sing of more serious problem. Please see your ophthalmologist as soon as possible. 

Soheila Rostami, MD, FAAO, FABCS
Reston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis noted last month

+1
Thank you for the photo. It is hard to make a good call with the particular photo. It sounds by your description that you may have drooping, (ptosis) of the eyelid. This can be fixed in most cases. Each patient is different. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon. they will listen to you and do an exam to see if you need an operation to raise your eyelid. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

You appear to have ptosis (droopiness) of your left upper eyelid.

+1

You should consult a reputable ophthalmologist for evaluation of your condition, and to rule out neurologic causes of ptosis. If your work-up is normal,  you could then proceed with consultation from a reputable oculoplastic surgeon to discuss your options for surgical correction.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

+1

Based solely on the photo it appears that yo may have ptosis, however, soemtimes a photo catches you when you are blinking.  A full exam with a doctor is important to evaluate this.

Ptosis

+1

Great question. Thanks for posting an excellent frontal photo. You understand over the internet we can ONLY give guesses. My thoughts are you have asymmetry of the eyelids/orbital aesthetic zones. The right orbital zone is lower than the left. The upper eyelid folds are uneven. The left upper lid has a "ptosis" effect. You need to have in person examination from a boarded eye expert and plastic surgeon. Please obtain. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski 305 598 0091

Possible ptosis

+1

Judgeing by your photos it appears you have a real ptosis of the upper eyelid. This is usually caused by a levator aponeurosis dehisence (a separation in the ligament to muscle connection) that occurs not infrequently. However the fact that the problem gets worse with time and fatigue means a neurologic etiology ( cause ) must also be considered. You should consult a good ophthalmologist or occuloplastic surgeon to diagnosis the problem and set a treatment plan

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to do for a droopy eyelid

+1

Ptosis is present when the margin of the eyelid (he part that has the lashes) is too low.  In the picture you definitely have ptosis on the left side.

Most ptosis tends to get worse when your are tired.  However, rarely, ptosis can be a sign of a neurologic problem.  I would suggest that you see a oculoplastic surgeon (also called ophthalmic plastic surgeon).  That doctor will make sure there is no neurologic problem and then be able to discuss surgical options to repair the ptosis.

Hope this is helpful.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon