Do I Have Ptosis? (photo)

One eye lid is lower with respect to the pupil than the other

+1

Thank your for the question and photo.  Your photo shows that the margin of one eyelid is closer to the pupil than the other.  This can be because one eye lid is lower than the other or that the eyeball of that eye is in a different position.  An in-depth discussion and exam will allow the surgeon to diagnose the source of the asymmetry.  Congenital ptosis involve the mechanics of the eye lid itself in terms of being positioned lower than a normal eyelid.  This can be corrected with surgery depending on the function of the eyelid itself.  You will have to be evaluate by a plastic surgeon or an opthalmologist to start the process.

Dr Remus Repta

Ptosis

+1

Your left upper eyelid is lower than your right. By definition that is ptosis. But there are many causes of ptosis, and sometimes the problem is the opposite eyelid that is high. A quick exam by your doctor can be very helpful.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis?

+1

Without more information, you have mild ptosis on the left or pseudoptosis. You may also have proptosis (bulging eye) on the right. See an ophthalmic plastic surgeon.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Evaluating eyelid ptosis

+1

It does appear from your photo you have mild left eyelid ptosis. You should have it evaluated by an ophthalmologist first before you seek any corrective measures to make sure there is not an underlying reason. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mild ptosis

+1

Morning Drose97

You have it and it's mild.  What you really need to do is answer why you have it.  Were you born with it?  Did it develop after illness?  Does it get worse with increased activity or at the end of the day?  Etc.  Ptosis can be dealt with but you want to do the right procedure for the right reasons.  This video should help.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Subtle eyelid ptosis

+1

You have mild ptosis on the left. Before proposing any treatment, it is important to diagnose the etiology.  You appear quite young so my concern would be for muscle weakness or any neurological causation.  I recommend that you see an oculoplastic surgeon for a comprehensive consultation.  Your photo has cut off the brows so it is also impossible to ascertain whether the brow, rather than upper eyelid, is ptotic.  If so, some Botox may be a reasonable first step.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Eyelid ptosis

+1

Yes you have left sided upper eyelid ptosis.  There are a variety of causes of ptosis, and if it something recent, you should get evaluated for it promptly.  If old, then likely congenital.  See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes

+1

According to the photo only, it appears as if you do have a mild ptosis of the left upper eyelid.  A physical examination would be needed to confirm.  Ptosis can be from a number of reasons:

1.  congenital

2.  previous surgery

3.  aging

4.  certain medical conditions such as myesthenia.

The type of treatment and/or repair would depend on having a complete history, physicial and eye evaluation done. Agree with the answers given previously.

Roberta Gartside, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Yes...but it is subtle.

+1

You have a mild left upper eyelid ptosis. This can be addressed with subtle surgery. There are two methods to achieve this:

1. Internal ptosis repair. In this method there is no external skin incisions. The eyelid is flipped and the muscle is tightened from the back side of the eyelid.

2. External ptosis repair. A skin incision is made and the muscle is advanced/tightened from the front.

For your degree of ptosis [subtle], the internal ptosis repair is my preferred technique as it is slightly more predictable and has less risk for contour irregularity. Find an Oculoplastics surgeon that is experienced in both techniques.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon