Is This Ptosis or Eyelid Swelling? (photo)

Do you think this eye ptosis? or I have swelling of the eyelid?

There are many variations of normal

+4

There are many variations of normal....and you are one of the normal variations. Yes, there is a slight asymmetry to the brows. We ALL have some asymmetry. Yes there is a hint of "bedroom" eyes. But again a variation of normal.

In my opinion, you are a very normal young man that doesn't really need surgery at this point in his life. You may need a browlift when you get older, but for now, enjoy your youth!

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Correction of brow ptosis

+2

Thanks for the question.  I agree that your problem looks mostly to be eyebrow ptosis, and it is a little worse on the right side.  It is difficult to judge from just one photo, but it looks like you have very prominent bony rims above your eyes as well (the supra-orbital rims).  This might be corrected surgically with a brow lift, and the bony supra-orbital rims could be smoothed down to give you an even more noticeable result.  Of course one photo is not a good substitute for a thorough exam, so find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that has experience with both bone and soft tissue and have them examine you.  Good luck!

Mark E. Mason, MD

Facial asymmetry vs ptosis

+2

There seems to be over diagnosis of ptosis lately! What you have observed is simply secondary to facial asymmetry that we all have. Obviously, if one eyebrow is slightly lower than the other, this may appear as ptosis but it is not ptosis. Your mild facial asymmetry is normal and do not need treatment.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis or Eyelid Swelling?

+1

In order to make a proper diagnosis and a treatment plan, I would have to see the animation in your forehead, brows and lids. I recommend that you go in for a consultation with a qualified Plastic Surgeon or Oculoplastic surgeon. However, based on your photo, there is a slight asymmetry in your brows – the left brow is slightly higher than the right. This is normal. We all have some asymmetry to some degree.  There maybe non-surgical alternatives such as Botox .

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Ptosis or swelling

+1

It's very difficult to make a diagnosis, let alone a treatment plan from one still photo.  Animation of the forehead, brows and lids is very important here.  The other important factor is your priority.  Is your goal symmetry, improvement on one side, both sides,etc.  Certainly, a consultation with a plastic surgeon experienced in this type of surgery would be helpful to you.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Brow ptosis

+1

The only thing I see is a little brow ptosis or heaviness.  I basically agree with everything Dr. McCraken told you.

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow ptosis

+1

It looks like you have mild right brow ptosis, giving the appearance of swelling of the right upper lid.  This could be treated with:

1)  a surgical brow lift to lift the right upper lid skin

2) right upper lid skin excision (blepharoplasty)

3) Botox to lift the right brow

4) Filler injection to lift the right brow

I recommend you visit a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS) for a consultation.  You can find one near you on their website, ASOPRS.org.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon