Can You Have Ptosis Without Much of a Droopy Eyelid?

Hello Is it possible to have ptosis even though the eyelid(left) does not droop all the time? My left upper eyelid almost always feels tired and kind of itchy. I have noticed that it does feel worst when I stay awake longer and the droopiness does increase IMO. Sometimes my eyelids both look symetrical early in the morning but the left eyelid doesn't "feel" normal. Could this be ptosis if not what can it be? What are my options? Thanks

Should be evaluated by a surgeon

+1

It is possible and eyelid ptosis, as you are describing, needs to be evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fluctuating ptosis

+1

Yes, in fact, it is almost always true that the ptosis (droopy upper eyelid) is worse when one is tired.  Ptosis can be surgically corrected.  It is important to be evaluated as to the cause of the ptosis.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis that comes and goes

+1

what you are describing is actually quite common in acquired  ptosis. Why it appears to be there at times and at other times not is because there are muscles in the surrounding area that are attempting to compensate for the ptosis. That attempt at compensation occurs because your brain likes to perceive equal amounts of information from both eyes and when that does not occur, it sends messages to the surrounding muscles to take up the slack so to speak. Those muscles called in to help can become tired and weaker due to the degree of activity that is required and when they fatigue, they cannot lift as much. In time, their ability to correct the perception of ptosis will fail and it will no longer fluctuate. I think an evaluation now though, for your ptosis is appropriate and you might benefit from surgery now, and will heal better now due to you being younger.

Julio Garcia, MD