Revision Ptosis Surgery- Unhappy

I have had ptosis since birth. I had the surgery two years ago. Its fine when i look straight but when I look down the white area is more shown and when i look up my eyelid doesnt go up, like the other one does. What should i do now? I really want a doctor to fix this problem but I cant find a doctor that does it perfectly!

Born with a drooping eyelid

+1

The issue with a congenital (you were born with this problem) eyelid droop (ptosis) is the muscle is replaced by fat and scar tissue.  So it won't go up properly, hence the droop.  But it also lost it's normal elasticity, and thus when you look down it does not properly stretch.  It your eyelids come close to matching in straight gaze, that is considered a success in modern day surgery, especially if you don't have problems closing your eyelids when you sleep.  Unfortunately we do not know how to do a muscle and nerve transplant- that would give you a truly perfect result.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Web reference: http://www.doctorenzer.com

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

There may be no better fix for this.

+1

Gamze

If you want a second opinion for this in England, get a referral to Moorefields in London.  There are several excellent consultants there.  The big issue is that for congenital ptosis, the levator palpebra superioris, the muscle that raises the upper eyelid is often under developed.  This means that depending on the severity of this underdevelopment, this eyelid even when opened with surgery, will always possess a degree of compromized function compared to a normal eyelid.  That is essentially what you are describing.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com