Is Ptosis Surgery Recommended for Young Adults? (photo)

I'm 17, and I've noticed that I have a very mild ptosis in my right eyelid. During my last prescription update, I was told that my right eye is on the border line of having astigmatism. Might there be a correlation/causation? I've worn contact lenses since 6th grade, and I've looked back at pictures from 2011 and the ptosis is noticeable. Would receiving ptosis surgery at my age be a good idea? Is there a possibility that it might return?

Mild ptosis right upper eyelid

+2

Actually, with all due respect to Dr. Z, you are astute in you observation and  do in fact have mild ptosis of the right upper eyelid. Dr. Z is correct in that it is not visually significant. That is, your right eyelid is not low enough to cause limitation of your visual field.

However, this subtle ptosis can in fact be treated surgically. Prolonged contact lens wear is in fact a risk factor for developing ptosis, but it usually happens with a much longer time period than 6 or 7 years that you are describing.

Ptosis can return after you have surgery, but likely not for many many years, so that should not really be a factor in your decision making process.

Having said that, since you are a minor, you should discuss your concerns with your parents, and if it is still bothering you, you should consider a consultation with an Oculoplastics surgeon. I have provided a link below that will help you find one close to you.

Good luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

No evidence for need for ptosis surgery.

+2

The photograph is rather poor but I see no indication for ptosis surgery. The lids are symmetrical in vision is not impaired based on the history.

Is Ptosis Surgery Recommended for Young Adults?

+2

Best to have your parents take you for an eye examination to determine if you are diagnosing yourself correctly. Than the doc can determine if any additional medical issues are causing the ptosis, if you have it. In your posted photo very very hard to see any ptosis, it could be acceptable anatomic variant.  

Ptosis surgery may or may not be a good idea for you.

+2

If you have ptosis it is not very dramatically demonstrated in the photograph you have provided.  You talk mostly about refractive issues i.e. astigmatism.  The ptosis is an unlikely source of astigmatism and if this is the main motivation for having ptosis surgery, you are likely to be disappointed with the outcome.  In the Bay Area, I would recommend consulting with Stuart Seiff, M.D. or Rona Silkiss, M.D. if you are serious.  This is not something you should see a general plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon for or for  that matter a general ophthalmologist.

Contact lens wear and eyelid ptosis

+2

There are various causes of eyelid ptosis (droopiness). Among them are long-term contact lens wear (especially hard contact lens).  Eyelid ptosis surgery can be performed to lift the droopy eyelid.  Ptosis surgery can be done at any age!. (It is even done in babies who have significant droopy eyelids blocking their vision.)  As long as the ptosis is stable, you should be a candidate for surgery.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

17 y.o. with question of ptosis

+1
Thank you for the photo. the amount of ptosis seems to be small, but it is hard to make a good call with the particular photo.  It sounds by your description that you may have drooping, (ptosis) of the eyelid. This can be fixed in most cases. Each patient is different. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon. they will listen to you and do an exam to see if you need an operation to raise your eyelid. Your parents obviously need to be part of this decision.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Eyelid ptosis

+1

Hard to tell from your picture, but I do not feel you need surgery.  Ptosis surgery can not guarantee that you will have perfect symmetry between the upper eyelids.  In fact, it is very likely that you will not with surgery.

Dean Fardo, MD