Can ptosis surgery cause more damage to an eyelid?

I had minor congenital ptosis in my left eye. My surgeon told me it was 2mm lower than my right eye. It was hardly noticeable during the day, but became more obvious at night (and the lid felt heavy). I decided to get the surgery, but my left eye actually dropped lower than it was prior to the procedure. Is this because my muscle was shorten?

Eyelid ptosis

+1
Amanda,
This my be due to swelling in the corrected lid.  See your surgeon for a complete evaluation.  He/she may be able to shed some light on the worsening of the ptosis.  Good luck!

Ptosis surgery, eyelid droop

+1
Hi, your question is a very good one
Essentially, there may be some post operative swelling of the eyelid that mimics the eyelid actually dropping
However, this is/was an operation and does have technical aspects that may need to be revised
I would suggest you confer with the original surgeon for an assessment

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repeat revisional ptosis surgery

+1
How long ago was the surgery?  It is unlikely for ptosis to gets worse after surgery but anything is possible. If at least 3 months have passed and the ptosis is still present or worse, see an oculoplastic surgeon for possible consideration of repeat revisional ptosis surgery.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon