Does Ptosis Surgery Also Correct Lower Eyelid Retraction in the Same Ptotic Eye? (photo)

My concern with my ptotic eye is that I have lower eyelid retraction in that same eye, resulting in inferior scleral show. You can see considerable white of my eye showing beneath my iris of my right eye. Also, my right eyebrow is raised much higher than my left eye. I am wondering if this is my right eye trying to compensate for the droopy lid by retracting with the lower lid and raising my eyebrow (to open up more). Will ptosis eyelid surgery also correct both problems?

Ptosis surgery will not improve lower eyelid position

+2

I agree with your assesment. You have mild lower eyelid ptosis in the upper eyelid and retraction in the lower eyelid. Your brow is compensating for the upper eyelid ptosis.

Raising the upper eyelid from an internal approach [no skin incision] would be ideal to help raise you lid, which will then relax your brow flexion. I have attached a photo of such an operation.

The lower eyelid can be addressed at the same time. As a matter of fact, a graft can be used from inside the eyelid [tarsus] or from inside the mouth to help raise the lower eyelid. I have a also attached a photo of this.

.realself.com/find/Washington/Seattle/Oculoplastic-surgeon/arash-amadi#photo-640816

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Web reference: http://www.realself.com/find/Washington/Seattle/Oculoplastic-surgeon/arash-amadi#photo-535906

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon