Can I Get Ptosis Surgicallly Repaired Without Getting Blepharoplasty? (photo)

I've had ptosis most of my life, but now that I'm getting older, it's become difficult to keep my right eye open when I'm tired. I am hoping I can get this surgically repaired without blepharoplasty or an eyebrow lift. Would Botox help?

Ptosis surgery versus blepharoplasty

+1

Ptosis surgery can definitely be surgically repaired without any blepharoplasty.  Ptosis surgery involves tightening the levator muscle which is responsble for lifting the upper eyelid; this can be done from behind the eyelid approach without any skin incision.  Blepharoplasty is something completely different whereby excess skin and/or fat is removed from the eyelid.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can I Get Ptosis Surgicallly Repaired Without Getting Blepharoplasty?

+1

You certainly can have ptosis repair without blepharoplasty, however it is a surgical procedure.  Often it can be done throughn the inside of your eyelid so no external incision is needed.  Botox will not repair ptosis.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

you understand there is still an incision whether the surgeon removes skin (making it a blepharoplasty) is something you would need to discuss with the operative surgeon. 

Ptosis

+1

I would have to examine you and obtain more answers to determine the etiology of your ptosis.  Regardless, it is possible to perform ptosis repair without removing skin or performing a brow lift.  This depends on whether you have brow ptosis or not, of course.  As for the eyelid ptosis, it is important to rule out neuromuscular disorders.

I suggest seeing an oculoplastic surgeon in your area.  I don't see a role for Botox here.

SIncerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)