Can Ptosis Repair Turn into Dermatochalasis Problem?

Hi Doctors My left eye Ptosis(2mm) Surgery occured 3 moths ago with levator resection But since then what i have noticed that the height of the eyelid before and after surgery is same but with one differnce that now i also have eyelid problem( i can't figure out is it swelling or excess skin that has come out). i have not even noticed gradual lift of eyelid so i am very frustrated. please doctors by lookin at my picture tell me that whether i have developed extra skin problem, swelling or what?

Crease may be asymmetric

+1

It looks like the crease (where the eyelid folds in) is a tiny bit higher on your left. Although we attempt to make the crease symmetric after ptosis surgery, it is not 100%. I think you have a good result, and with time the symmetry may improve. Give it a few more months.

Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis

+1

From the photos it appears that you may have some residual swelling of the lids - not extra skin.  Your eyelid height is low but may improve as the swelling improves.  If it does not, you should seek consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Ptosis Repair

+1

Thank you for the question. If you are three months after eyelid ptosis repair, to raise a droopy upper eyelid that was blocking your pupil, there should be some improvement in the ptosis. The best way to check to see if there was improvement is to compare pictures from before and after the surgery. It is important that the view, lighting, expressions, etc., all be similar. It is sometimes difficult to see the difference if you are checking every day.

If you still have frank ptosis, then you may require further advancement. I would certainly ask you surgeon to review the before and after pictures with you, and discuss what may need to be done next. A second opinion can sometimes be helpful too.

The levator advancement surgery should be able to repair a 2mm ptosis. It is not unusual to have to adjust ptosis repairs. This is something best discussed before doing the surgery to try and minimize the frustration. The eyelid is not made of stone, so it doesn't usually stay exactly where it is put. On a positive note, it is usually easier to advance the muscle further, and raise the eyelid, than it is to release an eyelid that is too high after ptosis surgery.

At three months after surgery, there is probably still some swelling present. It is difficult to evaluate if there is extra skin from the photo. Again comparing before and after pictures may help.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

+1

It appears from your photo that you still have eyelid ptosis, without significant dermatochalasis (extra skin).  You should consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon