Ptosis Repair Stitches Dissolved, Surgery A Failure?

I had ptosis repair surgery on my upper eyelid yesterday. After the surgery and all day I could feel a the stitch whenever I moved my eye, it was quite painful, and I was using the prescribed oinment regularly. Today I don't feel the stitch anymore and all pain is completely gone. Does this mean the surgery was a failure and ill need it re-done? Could this have made my ptosis worse?

One Day Postop from Ptosis Repair

+1

Thank you for your question.  At one day post op it is premature to evaluate the results of any surgery including ptosis repair. The feeling of the lid probably will have no effect on your outcome. Please take some time to sit down with your surgeon to discuss the procedure more thoroughly as well as to discuss your expectations.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Let's go through this.

+1

Eyes can be scratchy and uncomfortable right after a surgery.  The way ptosis surgery is performed, no sutures are left to poke the eye itself.  The same nerves that supply the eyelid also supply the cornea so having an eyelid surgery can feel very much like something is in the eye.  The fact that you are much more comfortable the next day supports the notion that the eye itself is not getting poked by a stitch.  That does not mean the stitch is gone.  Follow your surgeon's directions and focus on healing.

Ptosis Repair Stitches Dissolved does NOT Mean Surgery is a Failure?

+1

The suture you felt is not likely to be the suture that is in the ptosis repair. If you are otherwise doing well, it is not likely that the ptosis repair is a failure.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon