Ptosis Repair Herring's Law? (photo)

I had revision ptosis surgery 3x on my left eye. 1st undercorrected, 2nd was overcorrected, and 3rd was to release a suture due to the overcorrection & Herring's Law in my right eye (never had ptosis in it until overcorrection). My left eye still seems overcorrected and my right eye still feels dead! I am 3 days post op. Will my left eye raise even more after the swelling subsides? I feel like my doc is hesitant to re-op a fourth time as he's expressed frusturation, and it makes me uncomfortable.

Ptosis repair

+1

After the last repair your left eye appears to be in a good position. It is time to sit and wait for full recovery. It takes time for scarring to mature and soften. I agree with waiting at least 3 to 6 months before considering any other procedure.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis repair

+1

As you have experienced, ptosis repair can be quite challenging and probably is one of the most challenging procedures we do as Oculoplastics surgeons because of the variability in results and healing.

Looking at your final post op photo, I would be quite pleased with the contour and degree of symmetry for only three days after surgery. At this point, there has been considerable scar tissue formation and the tissues do not respond the same way that a "virgin eyelid" would.

At this point, I would allow your eyelid to heal for a good 6 months. During this time, you may be able to lower the left eyelid ever so slightly with massage to achieve a bit more symmetry with the right. I would not do this however without consulting your surgeon.

If you like the height of the left eyelid and want to raise the right eyelid to match that in the future, then I would recommend an internal approach to the ptosis repair, rather than the external approach as it is slightly more reliable/predictable.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon