Ptosis Post Sugery Swelling

Hi Doctors i have attached my photo for getting the response. I had congenital ptosis by birth on left eye. On 6th October 2010 i had levator resection(20mm) for my 2mm ptosis of left eyelid but now after 3 months the eyelid is sill swelling. My surgeon says that ptosis has gone now and your eye lid will lift up once swelling is gone. Now my left eyelid has become thick and looks odd, i am disappointed, please tell me is eyelid swelling occur after ptosis surgery?. if so then for how long.

Revision ptosis surgery

+2

It appears you still have some residual ptosis with minimal swelling.  You may need more ptosis surgery, but I would wait 6 months after your last surgery.  You may have had maximal ptosis surgery using your own eyelid muscle (levator); if that is the case, then alternative procedures (such as frontalis sling) may be needed.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post Sugery Swelling After Ptosis

+1

From the photos you attached, it appears as if the ptosis is still present.  In reality, you cannot tell as you have to wait 6 months to see the final result.  If the lid level raises, the thickness that you are complaining about will probably go away as well.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Correction of eyelid ptosis

+1

Your photograph demonstrate two conditions : ptosis of the left upper eyelid and also, ptosis of the brow.  I feel you should have a repeat surgery with you awake and additional levator muscle removed.  This is the easiest way of achieving a very good result.  Did your treating surgeon examine the levator muscle for innervation.   Some patients are borm without innervation to the levator.  If this condition is present, another operation may be needed such as a muscle sling from the frontalis muscle

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)