Ptosis in Young Caucasian Male? (photo)

I suffer from Ptosis in my left eye. I am aware of the asymmetry all faces but I have become self conscience about this ever since others have noticed it. I have since developed a "tick" and attempt to strain my eyebrow to set the eyelid higher when in public. I went to a Oculoplastic Surgeon about a month ago and was dismissed with no recommendations to correct the issue. I found this rather upsetting because this issue affects my self-esteem. I was hoping to get a second opinion.

Ptosis repair is indicated

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. It is obvious from your photograph that you have ptosis of your left upper eyelid. There are a variety of causes of ptosis, but the most likely cause in you is a separation of the levator aponeurosis from the tarsal plate.  I suspect that you were not given an option for correction because the surgeon you saw is not experienced in the procedure. I would definitely get a second opinion. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mild ptosis

+1

Your photo confirms mild left upper eyelid ptosis. Although this droopiness [ptosis] is not severe enough to be affecting your vision, it certainly can be addressed with surgical intervention.

If our Oculoplastic surgeon is not comfortable treating mild ptosis, I suggest you seeking another opinion. Some surgeons can be quite conservative.

As far as the technique to use [internal vs external], each patient should be evaluated individually. Although external ptosis approach can give a much more substantial lift, the internal approach is my favorite technique for mild ptosis: it is more reliable and usually provides a more reproducible result with a very natural contour. Again, not every surgeon is comfortable with both techniques. Make sure you find a surgeon that is experienced with both techniques.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis Repair

+1

Indeed your photo is consistent with levator ptosis of the left eye.  An occuloplastic surgeon would by the very nature of the specialty be considered an appropriate person to do the repair.  Plastic Surgeons and Facial Plastic Surgeons also my do the repair if they have chosen to include it in their training.  

It makes no sense to me why the surgeon you visited would dismiss you.  Your condition is quite obvious and likely to get worse with time if untreated.  I suggest you find visit another surgeon for a second opinion.  

There are two basic ways to do the repair.  Either through the inside of the eyelid or through the skin.  The skin approach leaves a scar but is generally more successful.  

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon