Ptosis Correction on Both Eyes Made my Right Eye Look Really Strange and Overcorrected, Options? (photo)

Hello, Im a 20 year old man.I used too have difficultie with keeping my eyes properly wide open. so i got at age 17 ptosis correction. After the surgery my right eye was overcorrected and the eyelid itself was way shorter. So i got it after 2 years operated again and they placed my ptosis higher though my eyelid looks better it still doesn't look symetric with left. It has a strange fold exactly at the place were my old fold after the first surgery was. I would like righteyeto be more symetrical

Exact correction of ptosis

+1

I think that achieving symmetry in cases of ptosis is difficult and in many cases is never able to be achieved. There are limitations now as you have had two surgeries and there is scar tissue and incisions already there. Although seeing an ophthalmic surgeon is certainly in order, but I think that you need to prepare yourself that what they might say is it is best to leave it alone

Unequal Upper Eyelids

+1

Ptosis surgery can be difficult to "exactly" match the eyelids.  it may represent one muscle that was "tightened" more than the other or it may represent a normal neurologic response to one eyelid that is low and the brain compensating by raising the other eyelid higher (Herring's Law).  Not too sure what the additional fold in the right eyelid represents.  Get a second opinion and you might find out that no further surgery is the best option.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

You need to find a fussy oculoplastic surgeon.

+1

In your early picture, both eyes demonstrate ptosis.  There is more effort to lift the eyebrow on the left side and this likely represents the fact that you are left eye dominant.  In the latter picture, your right eyelid margin position is well corrected.  The left upper eyelid retains residual ptosis.  Both eyelids have eye lash ptosis that can be corrected with an anchor blepharoplasty.  There continues to be left eyebrow elevation that compensates for the ptosis on the left side.

You need a very fussy and experienced oculoplastic surgeon.  The reason for this is that many will feel that you have an adequate functional result and that making an incremental improvement in your current status can't not be guaranteed.  This is because these surgeries are simple not accurate enough.  We have a say in surgery that better is the enemy of good.

Eyelid ptosis asymmetry

+1

Based on the photos provided, your eyelid asymmetry is due to a slightly ptotic [droopy] left upper eyelid. Because the left upper eyelid is slightly lower, the left upper eyelid platform is more visible. In addition, you may also be subconsciously recruiting your left brow to try to raise the left eye brow. This also leads to brow asymmetry.

In my opinion, the right upper eyelid is in the more proper anatomic position, and raising the left upper eyelid to match that side would be more appropriate.

As mentioned by other doctors, ptosis surgery can be quite subtle/complex, especially revision surgery which is much less reproducible. I would consult an oculoplastic surgeon with experience in revision eyelid surgery.

Best of luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

You have a good result from functional point

+1

You have uneven eye brow over the right side. The brow asymmetry is very common and will not improve by the revision of the ptosis.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis correction

+1
I would go in and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what he/she thinks your options may be for better symmetry. Sometimes it is impossible to get both of the eyes exactly the same when dealing with ptosis repair. Most people have assymetey natural to their faces. Be careful to avoid over correction in the search of perfection. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD