Ptosis Correction and Asian Eyelid Revision Surgery - Need Staged Operation?

A doctor told me Ptosis correction AND revision in 1 procedure requires static crease. He says Ptosis correction attaches levator to tarsal plate, then crease itself also needs attachment onto tarsal. If it is attached to levator (dynamic), then operation needs 2 procedures. 1st Ptosis is corrected by attaching to tarsal. After 6months, attach skin to levator. If 1 stage correction, then it has to be placed onto tarsal plate (static). Otherwise resulting crease is unpredictable and 2sides are asymmetric. Is this how ptosis is corrected with static crease formation? Does dynamic crease causes asymmetry?

One stage surgery for ptosis repair and lid crease formation

+1

It is not uncommon to have both ptosis (droopy eyelid) repair and double eyelid surgery at the same time. Certainly they may be some specific issues in your case, but typically these two surgeries can be performed at the same time.

Monterey Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

I often perform ptosis surgery with lid crease formation, and I do it in one surgery.  It sounds like the doctor that saw you was concerned about something in particular so you probably should get other opinions to be sure.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You do not need two separate operations

+1

Treatment of ptosis and establishment of an upper eyelid crease can be performed in one stage.  Depending upon the patient and their attitude (i.e. being awake)  I adjust the muscle with the patient awake and sitting upright.  Anesthetic solution is injected into the skin and orbit and after  ten minutes the tarsal plate and levator muscle are  identified.  They can then be adjusted and the patient asked to sit up to see if symmetry has been achieved.  I use this technique with patients who have had many unsuccessful  surgeries.  You should be able to find someone who would be willing to do both surgeries at once.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

Ptosis Correction with Asian or Double Eyelid Creation can be done in stages but also all at once

+1

Ptosis Correction with Asian or Double Eyelid Creation can be done in stages but also all at once in my hands.  This has not been a problem for me.  After reattaching the levator to the tarsus in the best position, I then attach the levator muscle to the orbicularis muscle or skin or whatever technique you use for the double eyelid crease.  This has been okay to do for me in my hands.  I think some people stage this procedure because they feel that they will have some better control of the results.  But I think if you can do it in one procedure why not.  You can always stage a revision if the results are not as desirable.  But usually one surgery is possible to correct them both with out needing more surgery in my experience.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon