Is it normal for my eyes to seem very asymmetrical 5 days after eyelid surgery for ptosis?

I had ptosis caused by muscular dystrophy (opmd). 5 days after surgery my eyes seem to be very asymmetrical. I have no real noticable swelling and do go back to see my surgeon in a few days. Is it normal at this time to have what I consider severely different looks to each eye? I still have disolvable stitches in. I am not able to provide photo due to lack of camera at this time. My right eye looks wide awake now while my left looks sleepy. Thanks in advance for any information. I am getting concerned.

5 days after surgery is very early

+1

Although it is sometimes possible to see results immediately after surgery, there is often asymmetrical swelling/bruising that can occur, which can mask the final results for many weeks.

Indications for surgery for Oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy [which I assume what you have since you used the acronym OPMD] should be conservative, as it is a process that can be progressive and resistant to surgery. However, at times surgery is indicated to allow a patient to be able to see.

This is water under the bridge at this point since surgery has been performed. It is now best for you to be patient, and allow you body to heal. After about a month you should have a good idea where the eyelids will end up, but if re-operation is indicated, I would not even consider it earlier than 3 months.

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is a very difficult circumstance for performing successful ptosis surgery.

+1

To be honest, in the setting the muscluar dystrophy, I try to avoid performing ptosis surgery as much as possible.  The reason being, that it is very difficult to make a satisfactory correction in this setting.  So although it is cosmetically and functionally a hardship, it is sometimes better to wait as long as possible before surgically intervening and then perform the most conservative surgery possible.  Because the muscle that raises the eyelid does not work well, radical shortening of the levator aponeurosis is sometimes needed to make a difference and this will necessarily create marked asymmetry especially in down gaze.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com/blog/are-there-any-reasons-why-i-should-avoid-botox-or-dysport/