Ptosis in Asian Eyelids

I am a 32 year old Asian female and I was diagnosed as left eye ptosis (2mm-2.5mm). My oculoplastic surgeon suggested an internal incision method based on the fact that I responded well to the neo eye drops. I have the following questions: 1.Is mullerectomy more difficult to perform on Asian eyelids because of the eyelid structure difference? 2.Can you recommend a good oculoplastic surgeon who is experienced in repairing Asian eyelid ptosis in the Washington DC area?

Ptosis in Asian Eyelids

+2

With a good response to phenylephrine and a ptosis in the 2 mm - 2.5 mm range,  an internal approach (conjunctival muellerectomy)   should be an optimal approach.  The eyelid structural differences seen in Asian eyelids should not make the operation more difficult to perform.  In fact,  those differences and the fact that the ptosis is unilateral are both reasons that make the internal approach a more compelling option.

Best wishes on your surgery.

Mark Lucarelli, MD, FACS

Madison, WI

Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis in D.C

+1

Any oculoplastic surgeon who is well versed in Asian eyelid surgery should be able to manage this problem. An internal approach can work well depending on the phenylephrine test. This is bread and butter material for eyelid specialists. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis Surgery for Asian Eyelids

+1

In my opinion, considering eyelid surgery, it is reasonable to consider Muller's muscle shortening to improve the symmetry of your eyes. The anatomy of Asian eyes in my hands does not have much of an impact on the surgical plan compared to Occidental eyes. As far as recommending someone for Asian Eyelid Surgery in the Washington DC area,  you can visit the website of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS).

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye lid ptosis

+1

Dr. Nicholas Illif at Johns Hopkins (Wilmer Eye Institute) has the most experience in lid ptosis repair