What is ptosis, do I have it, and if not what exactly can I do to fix my face asymmetry? (Photo)

I have always been EXTREMELY self conscious about my uneven face. One eyebrow is significantly higher than the other, and it shows even more when I smile. It is extremely noticeable and I can almost feel the muscle on the higher eyebrow. I also suffer from migraines and headaches and wonder if this could be the cause. The higher eyebrow I am able to lift by itself but the other eyebrow cannot raise itself unless the other one comes up with it. Help I've tried everything including face yoga!

Mild ptosis versus simple asymmetry

+2
in general and the photos it appears that your crease, brow, and face is a little asymmetric but overall you have very attractive features.  the first thing you can do is go see an oculoplastic surgeon before proceeding with any kind of surgery.  I would be very suspicious of general plastic surgeons or even a facial plastic surgeon who does not perform reconstructive eyelid surgery frequently who tells you it's a simple matter of removing some skin.  Go to the experts first before proceeding.

Chase Lay, MD
Eyelid reconstruction specialist
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry

+1
  • Asymmetry is normal - the two sides of our face do not match.
  • This includes the eyebrows.
  • But the migraines may be the cause.
  • Definitely try Botox. It may help both the asymmetry and the migraines. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

What is ptosis, do I have it, and if not what exactly can I do to fix my face asymmetry?

+1
You appear to have a "slight" facial asymmetry. This could be genetic vs other medical issues. Try Botox to elevate the right brow. Otherwise only a surgical intervention could improve the mild/minor upper lid ptosis and a forehead lift. 

You have mild upper eyelid ptosis.

+1
A consult would be used to more carefully discuss your concerns, and what approaches you are comfortable with.  A physical assessment of the eyes is performed as part of the consult to really determine the physical basis for your concerns.  From this a plan is determined for you.  Take a careful look at my website at some of the very subtle anchor blepharoplasty.  Hope this information helps.  Remember, less is more.

What is eyelid ptosis?

+1
Ptosis means the sagging or drooping of the upper eyelids.  I do not see this in your case.  You do have some facial asymmetry.  Without seeing the rest of your face, I can't determine whether solely affects the eyelids but know that asymmetry is not uncommon. Most people's faces have asymmetry to a certain extent.  I would not consider this associated with migraines and, trust me, face yoga won't help.  You might benefit from a little Botox if there is no muscular limitation and agree with Dr. Kapadia's comments.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and  recommendations.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Uneven eyebrows

+1
You would need an in person consultation to determine what treatment would be best for you. 

If there are more forehead lines on the side with the higher eyebrow, you may be subconsciously lifting that side a lot more than the other one. In this situation, treating one side of the forehead with botox (or treating both sides with a heavier treatment on the side with the higher brow) can often help improve symmetry.

Sometimes a droopy eyelid (ptosis) can lead to a higher brow. This would be treated by lifting the drooping eyelid.

There is no way to tell which of these you have from the photos. See an oculoplastic surgeon for a consultation.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyebrow asymetry

+1
Hi
It is possible you may have some droopy eyelids. It is hard to tell from your pictures, You need to be fully examined to determine the difference between your eyelids. Follow the link below to learn more about eyelid ptosis. Let us know if you have any questions

regards,

Kami Parsa, MD

Kami K. Parsa, MD