Ptosis AFTER Blepharoplasty

Had lower Blepharoplasty on both eyes two weeks ago&Rhinoplasty.I realize that swelling and final contouring of the nose will take many months.But,1)On the left eye,I have Ptosis now¬ice slight vision impairment since the lower eyelid on my left eye is "tucked"up too much and covering part of my pupil,though minimal,still noticeable!Pre-op I did NOT have Ptosis.Even my right eye is not as big as b4.2)My nose is now bent to the left(was not b4)and the tip still bulbous.Please help:(

Give your body a chance to heal some more before making a judgement

+1

Dear Veronica2010,

Concerns very similar to the ones you are voicing are common at this point it time. Keep in mind that at two weeks, you are still very early in the healing phase. There will still be many changes that occur to your lids and nose as time goes on. Swelling, bruising, and tearing of the eyes will all contribute to your concerns at this point. After these changes subside, it will be easier to evaluate your situation.

The lids will take another month or so to be able to get a picture of how things will look. With the nose, it may take many more months. You are still in the follow up period, so bring these issues up with your surgeon at you next follow up. I know that these issues can be very concerning to patients at this point, but more of the healing process needs to take its course. Hopefully, they will resolve on their own. Good luck.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Post-op results

+1

What you are describing I do not believe sounds like ptosis. Ptosis is drooping of the upper lid and not the lower lid being pulled up.  As for the nose, it may be swelling.

Ptosis after Blepharoplasty

+1

Dear Veronica,

I am sorry to hear you are having some concerns at this point.  It is certainly not unusual to have some swelling of both the eyelids and the nose at this point of your recovery. 

The eyes will likely have the swelling resolve first and the nose will likely take a year before you know the final result, especially of the nasal tip.  However, if the nose is deviated to the left already, you may need a revision down the road.  For the nose, I recommend that you try to be patient.  Even if you needed revision surgery, this would not be recommended before 18 months after your surgery.  You might even be surprised by how well it heals up in that time period.

Regarding the ptosis (upper eyelid drooping), I am not sure what could have caused this after having a lower blepharoplasty.  My best guess is that this is edema that is just being slower than usual to resolve. 

I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  I am sure that he or she would want to know of your concerns and would be just as concerned with your level of anxiety about this issue.  Keep in close contact with your surgeon over the next few months and let us know how it turns out!

Good Luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon