Psychological Demand Required for a Tummy Tuck?

i read that a dr. says adbominoplasty is pyschologicaly demanding. what does this mean? is it very difficult to handle emotionally the pain and recovery, perhaps? i am considering this procedure but woried

Psychological demands of tummy tuck

+2

Thye vast majority of patients are very happy with their tummy tucks.

Of course, like any well performed surgery, there will be expense, discomfort and recovery. The discomfort can be minimized by a Pain Pump and a competent aftercare facility where they can administer pain medications and monitor the patient.

Patients after any surgery should be motivated to retain their new figure and continue to maintain their healthy exercise and eating habits.

However since the vast majority of patients will emerge from surgery with an amazing figure, the biggest adjustement will be in the waistline of the new wardrobe!

Tummy Tuck involves physical and emotional stress

+2

An abdominoplasty or tummy tuck procedure is performed to remove excess abdominal skin and fat as well as tighten the anterior abdominal wall. Most surgeries, including a tummy tuck, place increased emotional and physical stress on the body. Thus, it is essential to optimize your nutrition, physical health, and emotional health prior to surgery.

Abdominoplasty procedures require several weeks of postoperative recovery and recuperation before resumption of a normal exercise regimen. Speak to your physician about these postoperative recommendations as they vary depending on the depth of treatment.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Psychological Changes in Some following Aesthetic Surgery

+1

Your surgeon may be referring to the emotional roller coaster and transient depression some patients experience after cosmetic surgery somewhat akin to postpartum depression. The good news is that it only affects a minority of patients and is transient and the vast majority of patients are thrilled with their results.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Psychological ups and downs after tummy tuck

+1

Any surgery can be psychologically as well as physiologically demanding. However, as you can see on realself, it has nearly a 89% "thumbs up" approval or "worth it" rating. It is normal to have periods of elation and depression during the recovery period that your endogenou steroid ups and downs. I find that patients hit a low at about 3 weeks after surgery and may experience brief periods of difficulty sleeping. However, when questioned, most would do it over again.

Psychological demand for a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. In our practice, tummy tuck patients are some of our happiest patients. Patients who plan to undergo this procedure should anticipate a significant recovery process. During the first few days after their surgery, patients may need to walk a little hunched over. In our practice, we provide two separate compression garments for every patient. These garments help provide even compression to the areas that have been treated and also provide support for the patient's comfort. Patients can return to their full activities and to the gym in approximately 6 weeks after their surgery. I am not sure why your surgeon said there was a heavy psychological demand after a tummy tuck. Our patients have realistic expectations, recover smoothly, and are very satisfied with the results.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Tummy tuck and psychology

+1

I do not agree that it is per se psychologically demanding any more than any other procedure.  I think in general, all patients undergoing surgery have to get up the courage to have it done. Certainly it is common to feel a bit down after surgery because of the entire process. But after  few weeks, most patients are extremely happy with the results and in retrospect were glad that they did it.

Tummy tuck should not be a difficult recovery

+1

i strongly disagree. provided you go with a well trained board certified plastic surgeon, you should have a relatively easy recovery without a great deal of pain. i get my patients up walking erect, not bent over, immediately and encourage early walking etc. Of course, it is an operation but the vast majority of patients make a relatively easy recovery and the vast majority are back at work in about 14 days (some as early as about 10 days and those that work from home, much sooner).

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Not too demanding psychologically

+1

A tummy tuck is physically demanding because of the moderate pain in the recovery. A healthy motivated patient with a good support system around them will come through the recovery very well though. All cosmetic surgeries can have some psychological stresses during the early recovery, but no more so with a tummy tuck than any other procedure in my experience.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty should not cause that much stress

+1

Abdominoplasty is one of the most straightforward procedures in plastic surgery. When done by a board certified and experienced plastic surgeon, it should give a very good result. Dealing with the post operative period is paramount. If handling pain is an issue based on previous experience,using a pain pump could help a lot with this.

The recovery will take between 7-14 days depends on how quickly you can get out of bed and heal. I ask my patients to keep a garment for 6 weeks after surgery and they like to keep it. Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS