PSP Face Lift Classification?

Can a PSP face lift be classified as a mini face lift, or something in between a mini and a maxi lift? What would be the difference in the results as compared to other facelifts? Is it as long-lasting?

PSP Lift

+2

The PSP (Platysma-SMAS Plication) technique can be part of a regular facelift (not really "mini").

Ask your surgeon what will work best for you.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of PSP facelift results

+2

This is a technique that is on a spectrum from mini to maxi. There is no definitive textbook which delineates this classification system and many terms are thrown about.

The PSP or Platysma SMAS PLication technique describes one way of handling the deep tissues that can be accomplished in a mini or maxi which generally refers to the incision used to manage the skin redundancy.

There are no valuable studies which establish longevity guidelines to the various techniques.

Which Facelift is the Best?

+1

There are too many brand name face lifts. Most can be described as:

1) Mini facelifts: skin excision with minimal undermining and deep tissue work.

2) Skin only facelifts: no deep plane work

3) Deep plane lifts incorporating repairs to the SMAS and platysma (the most versatile)

4) (Sub)Periosteal lifts that move everything above the bone.

In general the deeper the lift, the longer the recovery, and most people do not need periosteal lifts.

As a consumer of plastic surgery it is good to have  a working knowledge of the types of lifts and what they do. When confronted with a brand name face lift, ask what the details are of the procedure. What will be improved? What is the recovery? And how does the brand name lift specifically address your needs?

I do not pick a facelift and then apply it to all my patients. There are some general rules I follow, but every facelift is unique, and carefully crafted to suit the needs of each individual patient.

I would recommend picking a good board certified plastic surgeon over picking a specific technique of facelift, especially the mass marketed brand name facelifts. Most board certified plastic surgeons know many ways to do facelifts, and will pick the way that has the right balance between improvement and recovery, with maximum safety and predictability. We can only do this after a consultation and physical examination.

Don't feel like you have to pick the type of facelift that is best for you alone.  I wouldn't tell my mechanic which wrench to use on my car. I realize my life depends on a competent repair, and I will only use a mechanic I trust. I depend on them to help make the diagnosis, explain to me what is going on and make the appropriate repairs.

An important part of my job is helping you select the right approach for your particular needs. Your plastic surgeon should be able to explain to your what they are doing in easy to understand terms, in a way that it makes sense. This way everyone is on the same page. You will know what to expect. If they can't do this, you should find another surgeon. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

PSP for mini and traditional facelifts

+1

According to our literature there are over 200 published techniques and modifications that have been published describing various ways of performing facelift procedures. The PSP just describes a method that involves tightening of the platysma and SMAS. This can be done in both mini facelifts and traditional facelift techniques. Many surgeons use a wide variety of techniques and names for facial rejuvenation.

Unfortunately, I do not know that we can determine what constitues a mini or full facelift. I have seen the same technique being called two different names in various places. Without making it more complicated if your considering facial rejuvenation surgery the more prudent question would be whether the deep tissues will be properly elevated. The name of mini or maxi does not really mean much these days.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

PSP facelift

+1

Manipulating the platysma and /or SMAS is used to change the shape of the face and also adds to the longer lasting of the lift.  Other terms for facelift usually refer to the skin incision and the amount of dissection.  A SMAS procedure should always be done in my opinion for maximum , safe effect and better long term results.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

PSP facelift

+1

A platysma SMAS plication is just one variation of facelift that is out there. Often it is performed through a limited skin incision to just lift soft tissue around the jowls and the lower cheek.

Facelift classifications

+1

There is no standardized technique for facelifting and experienced surgeons do it slightly differently each day for different patient needs and anatomical variations. It is tempting to think that a "named" facelift like PSP somehow makes it exact but it does not. It is still up to each surgeon to interpret each procedure and each patient and do the procedure for maximum benefit. Make sure you go to an experienced surgeon and look at MANY of their pictures to see if the results they get are what you want. Then don't worry about the exact name of the facelift and just let them do what they need to do to give you your best outcome.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

PSP Facelift

+1

The name PSP describes the depth of the dissection (platysma smas plication). The extent of the dissection determines whether a mini or maxi facelift is performed. These terms mean different thing to different surgeons. At your consultations ask exactly what will be done during your surgery. A conscientious surgeon will welcome your questions.