Can Psoriasis Increase the Chances of Capsular Contraction?

I'm very close to selecting a date for my breast augmentation, I have concerns about Capsular Contraction. I've read where autoimmune disorders such as Psoriasis can increase the risk. I'm currently using Enbrel to control my skin issues. I very much appreciate any advice on this subject.

Capsular contracture

+2

Nobody knows for sure why some patients get capsular contracture although there are many theories. The only concern regarding psoriasis  would be if there is  any on your breasts. If so, the inflammation could slightly increase your risk of infection. If not, then it should be okay to proceed With breast augmentation without any increased risks.

Not that I know of

+2

I have never seen any relationship with healing or scar tissue and psoriasis.

It has never been reported in our literature.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Psoriasis and capsular contracture

+2

I know this will not help much but I am unaware of any data that shows and increase in capsular contractures in patients with psoriasis. I do not consider that a reason not to have a breast augmentation. Best of luck.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture and psoriasis

+1

I am not aware of any link between psoriasis and capsular contracture.  If your breast has gotten hard over time, it may be due to scar tissue that formed around the implant.  Capsular contracture is progressive.  Patients usually notice capsular contracture when the implants become hard.  It can also cause distortion of the implant as well as give pain.  You should see your plastic surgeon to see whether you would need implant exchange with capsulectomy.

Sugene Kim, MD