When Looking Tummy Tuck PS, Which Board Should They Be Certified By?

Plastic Surgery "Boards" = Alphabet Soup

+2

Plastic Surgery Boards in review:

ABPS - American Board of Plastic Surgery

The minimum. For a Tummy Tuck or body contouring surgery, I would not send a family member to surgeon that  does not have this board certification. (The one exception would be a newly trained plastic surgeon that was board eligible in plastic surgery but had not yet taken their board examinations -- with the recognition that this is a newer surgeon with less experience).

ASPS - American Society of Plastic Surgeons

For me, ASPS membership is also a minimum requirement. The ASPS is the professional society for Plastic Surgery, and it holds it's members to the highest ethical, marketing and advertising standards in the business.

ASAPS - American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons

The ASAPS is the largest professional society of aesthetic plastic surgeons in the world. Membership requires ABPS certification and ASPS membership as well as submission of a large series of cosmetic surgery cases. The ASAPS claims it is "the mark of distinction in aesthetic surgery" and I don't disagree.

Full disclosure -- it is likely that I am biased given that I have completed two full surgical residencies, both related to plastic surgery and head and neck surgery, obtained board certification in both, and am a member in good standing of both the ASPS and ASAPS.

Hope this helps,

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Qualifications for performing a tummy tuck in California

+2

The only recognized board for plastic surgery is the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Unfortunately, in the USA any physical can take a short course and get a certificate with calls them board certified, but these are not real and fully trained plastic surgeons.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

The American Board of Plastic Surgery

+1

There is only one board that your plastic surgeon should be boarded in:  The American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Unfortunately, all other boards with the word "cosmetic, aesthetic, lipo, laser" etc, are pseudo boards that are not sanctioned by the American Board of Medical Specialities.

Charles K. Lee, MD

The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only recognized board for plastic surgeons

+1

As you have learned from the answers of the other plastic surgeons, the American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only recognized board for the certification of plastic surgeons. There are other "boards" out there but they are mercenary in purpose and are not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. You can check this out at abms.org.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

American Board of Plastic Surgery

+1

The  American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is the only board you need to look for when considering a plastic surgeon for your tummy tuck.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Which board

+1

There really is only one board for this type of surgery, the American board of plastic surgery. You are shortchanging yourself anywhere else.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck board certification

+1

The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only recognized board for plastic surgeons.  Check out the American Board of Plastic Surgery website to find a qualified doctor near you.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Agree with my colleagues: ABPS certification - because it matters...

+1

Only visit with surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who are members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Please visit the website below to find a surgeon near you.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Board Certification

+1

It's easy for patients and consumers to get confused. There are a lot of credentialing organizations out there. And they all sound the same to the layperson. Some of them have a long history of demanding excellence from their diplomates, and others have minimal qualification requirements. The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is the only board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties for plastic surgeons doing abdominoplasties. One clue as to the training of a "plastic surgeon" is if they completed a residency in plastic surgery, not just a fellowship. Many real plastic surgeons have done both of course. But I think most people would agree without a residency in a specialty, you aren't really a specialist. In other words, the ob-gyn trained doctor who then does a short fellowship in cosmetic surgery  under the auspices of yet another cosmetic surgeon who didn't do a residency in plastic surgery either, isn't really in the same league as a residency trained plastic surgeon certified by the ABPS with 5-8 years of training in plastic surgery or general and plastic surgery. Another clue is hospital privileges. If youdon't have hospital privileges to do the procedure, it may be because you couldn't get credentialed by the hospital. And that could stem from hospital requirements for surgeon specialty training. Finally,  most ABPS certified surgeons are also members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, which only accepts ABPS certified doctors. It's all about putting the odds in your favor when you have a procedure. While no ethical doctor can guarantee a perfect result and recovery, you want to have the probabilities on your side. It pays to do your homework and be selective about who does your operation.

Paul Angelchik, MD
Glendale Plastic Surgeon

+1

Love the question. What I find unusual is no NON American Board of Plastic Surgery doctors have posted an answer. In my practice, on a weekly basis I see patients whom have had TT's by general surgeons, OB/GYN surgeons, ENT's, even medical doctors. When I query as to why they chose a non boarded PS, they have either the answers - He's NOT? or He was cheaper (less expensive). People, patients call the American Board of Plastic Surgeons to "check"  to see if your chosen TT surgeon is at least board certified in PS!!! 

Am. Board of Plastic Surgery, Inc. 
Seven Penn Center, Suite 400
1635 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2204
(215) 587-9322
General e-mail: info@abplsurg.org

Boarded in 1983 and prove to be a member!