Is a PS Responsible for Fixing a BA if the Results Are Undesired?

If a patient gets a BA and the problems are not what the patient desired such as one implant not dropping, asymmetry of the BA, nipples in the wrong direction, more ccs placed than requested etc. Is it the patient r PS responsibility to fix it and at who's cost?

+1

We all have cosmetic financial policies that outline these issues. I have my patients sign and acknowledge our policy before any surgery. In general most of us will waive our surgeons  fee if we feel we are at fault. However, my policy is that I do not cover facility or anesthesia costs. My advice. Be up front and communicate with your surgeon. We all want happy patients.

Plastic Surgery Revision Costs

+1

It depends on the surgeon and the issue. The surgeon should have a willingness to help, but the surgeon is not required to fix an issue for free if the request is unreasonable. This is the reason why it is so important that you find a board certified plastic surgeon that you really trust, otherwise, you may not pay as much initially, but you could end up with major problems after the surgery that will cost a lot more.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Breast Augmentation Q&A - revision costs.

+1

Your question is a very good one that I do not see discussed very often. Neither plastic surgeons nor patients like to discuss revisions and costs but sometimes revisions are required. Most reputable plastic surgeons want you - the patient, to be happy and try hard to help you especially if the result is less than expected. However, your question brings up several points: As other surgeons have mentioned, usually in cosmetic surgery (as opposed to insurance surgery) the patient typically pays for the operating room and anesthesia if there is a revision required. That is just the way the business has evolved. You then mention several scenarios related to breast augmentation revision, and each is a bit different. On thing I tell my patients is we surgeons are dealing with nature and sometimes nature does not cooperate despite our best efforts. Your first example - "implant not dropping" is just that situation. Sometimes that just happens. "Asymmetry of the BA" also is different because one would say a BA should not be asymmetric post op if the breasts are not asymmetric. But if the breasts are asymmetric to start with, then the result could be asymmetric. "Nipples in the wrong direction" - we surgeons have no control over the nipple position with a BA. Our job is to place the implant centered under the nipples. If the nipples are different in positions, we cannot change nipple position with a BA alone. "More cc's placed than requested" - We plastic surgeons commonly place a little more saline in one implant if the woman's breasts are different sizes, to help even the breasts. However, if you asked for 300cc implants and you got 450cc implants then that is a differnt situation. Sorry for the long answer but I thought it was important to mention the specific points.

Brett Edward Lehocky, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

Revision surgery cost responsibility varies

+1

Each plastic surgeon, and for that matter each patient, have their own theory on who is responsible for revision surgery based on a variety of issues.  In general plastic surgeon will have certain pre-determined rules that you may have read and signed prior to surgery about this.  Regardless, some plastic surgeons may offer their surgical services without cost or discounted for revision surgery if complications have occurred based on things that they had control over.  I would have an open discussion with your plastic surgeon about this and you may be able to reach a mutually amicable conclusion.  Remember that you will likely still be responsible for anesthesia and facility fee if applicable.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Costs for revision surgery

+1

I think that this is a practice by practice issue. Most practices will charge a facility fee to pay for the costs of the surgery( facility, nursing, anesthesia).  Many surgeons will waive their fee  for revision but it really depends upon the case.  Talk to your surgeon.

Responsibility for revision cost?

+1

Difficult question, policies differ from place to place and practice to practice. Complications are often beyond the control of your surgeon. I would advise you to discuss the matter with your surgeon and he should be professional in his assessment and would hopefully work to satisfy you. Good luck.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Responsibility for cost of revision surgery.

+1

Each practice should have its own policy regarding fees for revision surgery. Most will charge a fee for the facility, for anesthesia, and for implants if they are changed. There is a more variance in terms of professional fees. Many or most reduce their fees for secondary surgery, some waive them entirely, albeit usually on a case by case basis and not as a general policy. 

Without seeing before and after photos, it is hard for us to evaluate what exactly causes your displeasure with the outcome. There is more unpredictability in the outcome of breast implant surgery than in almost anything else we as plastic surgeons do, and by definition, these are things that are usually beyond anything the surgeon controls.