Will PS Prescribe Weight Loss Pill Before TT?

Weight loss medication questions

+2

You may find a plastic surgeon who is experienced with the use of weight loss medication.  In my opinion these medications should be managed by a medical physician who understands your entire medical condition and can manage you while you are under their care.  These medications can be dangerous if not appropriately managed.  You will need to be off these drugs for at least 4 weeks prior to surgery since many of them can cause problems with anesthesia.  

Weight loss

+1

I personally have no experience with weight loss medications and do not recommend you to be on them if you are planning to have surgery. They can be dangerous

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

+1

Personally, I would not prescribe an weight loss medication at any time. This type of treatment is under the domain of an Internist or General Practice doctor. Only in rare cases have I found that a poor diet is not the culpret. Life styles are very difficult the change, but they can be done. Also you may have a hormonal problem with needs addressing.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Pills and Plastic Surgery

+1

This depends entirely on the plastic surgeon and their experience managing weight loss. In my experience, most plastic surgeons would not be willing to manage the medical weight loss of a patient but rather work in coordination with a medical weight loss physician.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Diet Pills and Plastic Surgery

+1

is not a good match.  You should not be taking any diet medications before major surgical procedures and your weight ideally should be at a stable state before having any contouring procedures.

Curtis Wong, MD

Weight loss pill

+1

I do not prescribe weight loss pills of any kind and think most plastic surgeons would not. As far as I know, a safe and effective weight loss pill has yet to be developed. I also advise against patients starving themselves prior to surgery. It can result in metabolic problems and they often regain the weight post op. My advise? Be at a comfortable weight at the time of surgery. Don't starve yourself.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Weight loss medications before tummy tuck

+1

It is usually a good idea to be close to your goal weight before surgery.  Typically the anesthesiologists do not like patients to be on weight loss medicines at time of elective surgery.  On the subject of weight loss around the time of surgery.  We tell our patients not to be on a crash diet before surgery.  You need protein and calories to heal wounds.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Weight loss medicine before elective surgery?

+1

I hope not.  This is a bad idea leading up to surgery.  You may possibly have high blood pressure, heart arrythmias leading up to surgery, etc.  Stopping a month or more before the surgery is recommended by most Plastic Surgeons, and by the way I think these medications should be prescribed by doctors who usually follow patients for weight loss.

Good luck to you

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

+1

No, but the question of ideal weight before a tummy tuck is raised, and also the question of when to proceed when you are overweight.

There are some women who are overweight at the time of their tummy tucks, and they usually have a combination of liposuction of the abdomen, waist and flanks as well as the tummy tuck. They do fine and look good, since the fat that is removed with liposuction gives a much better mid-torso contouring than they could achieve with weight loss alone. 

Many women carry the excess weight in their lower body and it is not necessary to reduce the fat in those areas before doing a tummy tuck. 

The important question is at what level the excess weight is going to make the operation less safe or when there is really too much circumferential torso and abdominal fat to get a good result.

Every case is individualized.  Some women want to reduce the bulk of their abdomen for comfort, not just aesthetics. These might be the women who really have a lot of fat and skin overhanging the pubic area

Some women just have too much weight in proportion to their height and then I recommend weight loss through a specialist medical weight loss clinic. The weight loss doctors supervise the program, and may prescribe weight loss pills.  When the patient has lost enough weight to be a safe candidate for surgery and benefit from it aesthetically, then we proceed.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgeons should not prescribe weight loss medications

+1
Weight loss medications should be prescribed and the patient monitored by a physician who specializes in that field. Would you let an endocrinologist or internist perform your tummy tuck? I hope not! I believe that you should lose and maintain your weight before abdominoplasty rather than looking for shortcuts which will not serve you well in the long run.

Robert L. Kraft, MD