PS Says He Will Not Lipo More Than 1000cc During my Tummy Tuck: Is This Common?

I asked my PS to do lipo of my back, hips, flanks. He is doing a full TT and BA. He said he will only lipo 1000cc on my hips. He will not do any more due to co morbidity rates. Is this common? I really wanted more lipo.

Doing a tummy tuck and breast augs together is already somewhat risky.

+2

Don't do too many procedures together since risks go up alot.  Many docs would not do breast augs and tummy tuck together let  alone adding any liposuction.  Trust what your doc says and get a few consultations.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Saftey is most important

+1

It is not the amount that is important rather the location. Your plastic surgeon is being safe and given what you are having that is prudent. The last thing anyone wants is a major complicaiton. Both he and you will regret it. Saftey and your health should always be first. Follow your PS recs.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Limiting the amount of liposuction when done with other surgeries

+1

Liposuction by itself, especially when using tumescent anesthetic, is a very safe procedure.  Serious complications, when analyzed, show that the rare cases of problems have occurred during long surgeries, especially when multiple procedures are performed, or excessive amounts of fat are removed.  No surgeon can be criticized for taking your safety into account. You might find other surgeons who are willing to do more, after reviewing your medical history and exam, but it might pose greater risk to you.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

I agree with the above.  However, I would not necessarily limit this to 1000 cc.  Generally, we want the outpatient operations to stay under six hours and less than 5000 cc of lipo.  Your physician is correct to lower the 5000 limit in a prolonged surgery.  However, I would think that 1000 could be more depending on your health, etc.  It's truly a judgement call that places your safety first.  

Michael L. Spann, MD
Little Rock Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with tummy tuck

+1

I almost always perform some liposuction with the tummy tuck. The most common areas are the hips and flanks and upper abdomen. If the patient is not too large I may add other areas such as the back or thighs. It really depends on the patients size, health and degree of risk, one is willing to take. The more procedures done at one time the greater the risk of untoward outcomes. I agree with your surgeon in principle that we must protect our patients and understand limits. We may not all have the same limits so perhaps a second opinion is warranted. Breast augmentation and tummy tuck and limited liposuction may be the right plan.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Safety with Multiple Procedures

+1

Each procedure adds risks to any surgery. Doing a Tummmy Tuck and Breast Augmentaqtion already puts the risks to a point that many Plastic Surgeons will insist on an overnight stay because of safety concerns. Adding Liposuction to this further increases the risks. You gave no information about your health or the setting for your surgery. It sounds, though, that your surgeon has your best interest in mind. Respect his/her professionalism. You can always come back for further liposuction.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1

Liposuction and abdominoplasty/tummy tucks can be performed at the same time. The volume of liposuction performed along with a second procedure is determined by balancing the patient's needs and what the surgeon feels is safe. There is high variability amongst plastic surgeons as far as how much they are comfortable removing with liposuction along with a tummy tuck, although the 1000cc limit your surgeon is proposing is not at all unreasonable. Feel free to get a second opinion if this doesn't suit your needs, but understand that other plastic surgeons may not give you a different answer. Keep in mind that your surgeon has your best interests in mind, and that if 1000cc isn't enough, you can always have liposuction performed later.

Derek Lou, MD

+1

If your surgery is office based than in State of Florida that is the Board of Medicine rule. Only a 1,000 cc's of supernatant fat can be liposuctioned with another surgery being preformed at the same setting. It also makes more safety sense. 

Liposuction and tummy tucks

+1

Each individual PS has differing opinions regarding liposuction during other procedures.  I sounds like your PS is only comfortable doing 1000cc and this is perfectly acceptable.  If you are concerned you should seek a second opinion. I commonly will liposuction the upper abdomen and flanks during a tummy tuck and have found the result to be a much improved overall result.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon