Why Do Some Ps Do Laser During a Facelift and Others Feel It Isn't Safe Do to a Blood Supply Issue?

It is so confusing for a patient. I mean, isn't there some protocol to follow or something? I don't know why they disagree.

Full face laser resurfacing not safe with facelift.

+4

Thank you for your question. I only use Fractional Erbium laser resurfacing during a facelift and ONLY in limited areas such as the lips and crow's feet areas. Full face laser resurfacing can interfere with blood supply to the undermined skin and cause skin necrosis or loss of skin.

I avoid and will not use any from of O2 laser resurfacing during a facelift.

A matter of experience and patient choice

+2

I have done carbon dioxide laser resurfacing or plasma resurfacing with facelift surgery for many years.  If you are a smoker, it is out of the question.  You would need two separate operations because of the potentially poor blood supply to your skin. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser with plastic surgery

+2

It's all about risk. The more invasive we are as surgeons, the more risk we have of getting unwanted complications. Doing a full facial laser resurfacing at the same time as a standard facelift is dangerous, and should not be done. That being said, limited laser resurfacing around the mouth and/or eyes is more reasonable, since those areas are not directly manipulated during face lifting. The bottom line is that your surgeon should be conservative enough to keep you as safe as possible, while giving you the best possible result. 

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

Laser during a facelift

+2

I COMMONLY perform perioral (around the mouth) resurfacing at the time of a lifting procedure.  This offers the patient just one recovery from two procedures.  Caution is reasonable, because of concerns about vascular compromise (lack of oxygen getting to the tissues) insofar as deep resurfacing over the areas raised during a lifting procedure.  

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser During Facelift

+2

In my practice, I frequently use the laser for resurfacing at the same time as a facelift.  The safety depends on a lot of factors, including which part of the face is being treated, the type of facelift that is being performed, and the overall health of the tissue.  I most commonly perform a deep-plane facelift.  This technique has a more reliable and robust blood supply, dramatically reducing the risk of skin issues with laser treatments at the same time.  Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risks of laser and facelift together

+2

If you dissect under the skin for a facelift and then peel the outer surface with a laser, there is a sort of double injury that increases the risk of complications. Many surgeons will not laser over the skin that is undermined but do laser around the mouth and eyes, for example. More often it makes sense to do a full face laser at a second stage.

Richard Baxter, MD

Laser and Facelift surgery

+2

The overall guiding principle to any surgery is to do no harm.  I perform a deep plane facelift.  This type of facelift is the most technically challenging for the surgeon, but it also preserves the blood supply to the skin making laser skin resurfacing at the time of surgery safer.  Many surgeon techniques disrupt the blood supply to the skin making laser skin resurfacing more risky.  It is generally not advised to laser the skin at the time of surgery, particularly if the surgeon is not performing a deep plane facelift.  Other factors about the patients overall health are also a consideration, particularly smoking and diabetes.  In addition fractionated resurfacing with a facelift should be theoretically safer than traditional ablative techniques.  All that being said in a very healthy patient undergoing a deep plane facelift lasers can be considered at the time of the lift procedure.

Benjamin Stong, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser and facelift procedures

+2

Thanks for your question. I will not laser skin that is being lifted. It is a conservative approach but I feel that the risk of causing scarring or delayed healing is too great. The type of delayed healing or scarring could be extreme and it's just not worth the risk to me.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Face lift and laser resurfacing

+2

It  isprobably best to separate both procedures at least a month apart for optimum healing. The facelift addresses  tightening the underlying muscles, fat removal  in the neck, tightening the jowls and tightening facial and neck skin.  Laser resurfacing involves a thermal burn to the outside portion of the skin to help with wrinkles and sun spots

Why Do Some PS Do Laser During a Facelift and Others Feel It Isn't Safe Due to a Blood Supply Issue?

+2

You can always do the laser after you have healed from the facelift.  Skin loss after a facelift is much harder to overcome.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA