Is 9 Hours for Mommy Makeover Completely Safe?

PS est 9 hours for "Mommy Makeover;" (1) breast lift 3 hrs (2) implants 1hr; (3) tummy tuck 4 hrs; and (4) lipo of outer thigh 1 hr. Being done under general anestesia and assured she does it almost weekly, I'm in good health - low risk, and completely safe. This is being done as an outpatient procedures and supposed to go home after couple hours in recovery; this surgical center does not offer overnight accomodations. Run & forgeit $4k non-ref dep? Don't want 2 sep proc; 1 "safe" = me sched

Safety First

+1

Although multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting, nine hours seems a long time.  But what I'm most concerned about are the plans to send you home after this lengthy procedure?  Perhaps you should explore breaking the procedure down to small procedures and having them done in stages.  It may be safer and more comfortable for your recovery to, as they say, come back and "fight another day."   Should you opt for such a a lengthy procedure, I would suggest you have the procedure done by a board certified plastic surgeon only in a hospital setting where you can stay overnight to facilitate your recovery and have that extra level of postoperative care/monitoring.   I know the deposit is of concern.  But step back. You likely posted this question because you are concerned about the plan.  Listen to your gut.  Best wishes and be safe.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Length of surgery

+1

Anytime we perform elective cosmetic surgery, safety has to be at the forefront.  It is difficult to fully comment on the nine hour estimate without seeing pictures and doing a physical exam.  However, I can say without doubt that sending someone home after a nine hour surgery is not safe.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Safety is Important

+1

In all surgeries, safety comes first. In my experience, I have never spent 9 hours in surgery. It is tiring on the surgeon and the staff. Every surgeon works at a different pace. If you are comfortable with your surgeon, have your makeover in stages.All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD (retired)

Safety over Losing Deposit

+1

I would never recommend or perform a 9 hour outpatient surgery.   Without seeing your pictures, it is difficult to predict if 9 hours is a reasonable time for your procedures.   Factors such as size of patient, amount of breast ptosis/sagging, and asymmetry can all factor into time.

It may be worthwhile asking your surgeon if they can perform your procedure at a facility with overnight recovery and be willing to pay the difference.   Otherwise, it may be in your best interest to stage your procedure.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

9 hour Mommy Makeover and Immediate Discharge Home

+1

9 hours for mommy maker, is that average (?), probably not, especially based upon other answers already posted.  I think there are two issues here: (1) your safety and (2) your deposit.  For me personally, there is only one issue here as I do not take deposits for surgery, it is your health that is the issue here. 

I practice in the state of Pennsylvania where it is not legal to send someone home after a 9 hour procedure.  Although you are young, healthy and would likely tolerated the procedure without incident, there are options as overnight facilities, private duty nurses, or a frank discussion with your physician regarding your concerns.  If you present this as a safety concern, I believe that  a reasonable provider would work with you on the deposit issue.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Length of surgery

+1

Ask your doctor to do the breast lift and implant only.

This way you do not loose your deposit.

Do the rest later

Nine hours for a mommy makeover combination of operations probably is too much for outpatient surgery with discharge.

+1

After four hours the risk of any operation starts to go up. I think that nine hours for elective cosmetic operation is quite long. I would admit my patients for observation for any operation of significance that exceeds 4 to 6 hours.

9 hours for Mommy Makeover

+1

Everyone works at a different pace, and I realize that you have already invested a great deal of money.  These procedures (breast augmentation, full breast lift, tummy tuck, and lipo outer thigh) can be done in 5 hrs or less.   I am not sure how to advise you on this one.  I would say to get an overnight stay with care at some nearby outpatient facility.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

9 hours for mommy makeover

+1

9 hours is a bit long for the procedures you describe, but if you are otherwise healthy, you should be able to tolerate it without problem.  However, I would definitely find a way to spend one night in some type of facility. I always have my patients spend the night, and have never had one say they thought it was not worth it.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD