PS Going Smaller Than Discussed?

I had my BA this a.m. PS used 286cc mod plus not the pre discussed 304. He said the 304cc would have gotten me to the full C cup I wanted, however since i am small it took a weird shape & he didn't think I would have been happy w/ the results. At first I was glad because I dont want my boobs to look odd, but they are swollen and look small to me. My husband agrees they look small. How much do they shrink once swelling goes down? I am waiting for my PS to call me once he is done with surgery.

Appearance of breasts after surgery

+1

The appearance of your breasts after surgery is very different than what they will look like afterwards. Usually the implants ride a little high until the settle. As for the volume concerns that you have the difference between the two implants is arguably insignificant.  Of course you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. However, patience may be best right now. Best of luck. 

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with implant size on day 1

+1

There is not much volume difference between a 286 and a 304.  You are talking about 18 cc difference.  That is just over 1 tablespoon!  I think some times it is just a matter of perception.  In my practice I use the Vectra 3D imaging system as well as implant sizers and prior to surgery at the time of the pre-operative examination we finalize the implant size.  I give my patients an objective range of implants to select form and this gives the patient some input to the final product.  I do not think you would have noticed much of a difference with the 304 as it is only 18 cc larger and 2 mm wider.  In your particular situation you must rely on your plastic surgeon to act in your best interest.  Give it some time and if you are unhappy with the result then you can consider switching out to a larger size.  In many studies it has been shown that 50% of the reoperations within the first 2 years are for size problems.  That is why there must be good communication between  you and your surgeon.  

Breast implant size difference

+1

Of course it's difficult to be specific but I'd make two comments which I hope will help you: Firstly you are in the very early post op period and a lot can and probably will change over the next 4 - 6 weeks so I think its best to concentrate on recovering and being gentle with yourself, physically and stress-wise, for the next few weeks. If all turns out nicely then you will have fretted for nothing, and if adjustments need to be made, it is too early to do so.

Secondly that difference in size is very slight - it would be very difficult to pick that in even thin clothing. Try it - put 20 cc of fluid in a bag and place the bag in your bra on one side. See if your partner can consistently pick which side. I doubt it will be easy.

Good luck and best wishes.

Adrian Knox, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

286 vs 304

+1

Those implant sizes are essentially the same. If you are not happy with one you will certainly not be happy with the other. Generally speaking I don't think it is a good idea to get upset or worry about the size on the day of the procedure.  Let some time go by and wait to see if you are happy with the size.

I try not to discuss cup size with patient because it is difficult if not impossible to predict what cup size a patient will be after surgery because bra manufacturers do nat have a standard way of determining cup size.  Nearly every one of my patients who buys a bra at Victoria's Secret wears a D or DD regardless of implant size. Take a little time to see if you like them. They are certainly bigger you may find that they are just right for you.  This is just another reason to communicate thoroughly with your plastic surgeon about implant size because this is the biggest decision with this operation.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Size

+1

Hello there

The difference in the two implants is so small that one could put one size in one breast and the other size in the opposite breast and not be certain which one was which . 18cc is less than a spoon holds .

Undoubtedly you have some swelling and that will probably increase over the next few days . But you may also have some tension in your tissues that is flattening the implants against your chest wall and making them look smaller .

So relax and focus on letting your body heal and see what you think as the final result settles in there .

Cheers

Terrence Scamp

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

286 to 304 implants

+1

A difference of 18 cc's is not a lot.  You probably would notice the volume difference. Best to discuss with your surgeon.

286cc not the much different than 304cc

+1

I understand your concern, but really 304 cc is not that much bigger than 286cc.  You probably wouldn't be able to see the difference.  If you think they are small, then I would recommend 339cc.  Discuss with your plastic surgeon...usually an exchange like this is easily done in the office.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Smaller than discussed after augmentation

+1

The difference you mention, just 18cc is an amount which cannot be noticed, so if you look small it seems you will be discouraged either way. If you chose your surgeon carefully, he gave you the best result with what you had and will explain the result with to you.

PS Going Smaller Than Discussed?

+1

I have not noticed much in the way of early swelling in most breast augmentation patients. I do think that patients report early swelling, but I am not sure that it isn't just that the shock of the size change has worn off by the one week visit.

What does look different early is upper pole fullness, which resolves as the implants settle in place. Some feel the implant looks smaller later, others (myself  included) feel that the implants look larger when settled, but that is very subjective. 

At any rate, I doubt you or your surgeon would note a size difference over 18 cc of difference. A tablespoon is 15 cc. 

All the best.