I Need a PS That Creates Belly Buttons?

I had an umbilical float tt but need to convert to full tt. I will lose my belly button. I can't find a surgeon that has "created" belly buttons successfully. Can someone recommend one? Preferably on the west coast. Thanks

Abdominoplasty and umbilicoplasty

+2

Thank you for asking a very interesting and important question. You would likely have a living umbilicus without initially resorting to a neoumbilicoplasty (making a new belly button).  I like using a superior v flap umbilicoplasty which will in turn give more blood supply from your abdominal flap. This also gives you a nice youthful hood to the umbilicus. Please discuss his option with a board certified plastic surgeon who's well versed in this technique. 

Questions about viability of the umbilicus following a float procedure converted to a standard abdominoplasty

+2

I have been in this situation in the past and had no problems with healing of the umbilicus.  I would go ahead and have a standard abdominoplasty and wait to see how things heal.  If there is a loss of the umbilicus then a neoumbilicoplasty can be performed.  

I Need a PS That Creates Belly Buttons?

+2

If you do hundreds of belly buttons and tummy tucks a year, you run into this issue due to previous hernia repair and umbilical devascularization.  Neoumbilicoplasty can be performed in a variety of ways.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and umbilicoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

I Need a PS That Creates Belly Buttons?

+2

If your navel is attached to the abdominal wall it is not a certainty that it would be lost after a TT. I think the best approach would be to do the TT, leave the navel in its current position and see what happens. A new navel can be reconstructed on an if needed basis. 

All the best. 

Creation of a new umbilicus after sacrifice of the old is usually a fairly simple procedure.

+1

The navel is really no more than a depressed scar. This can be created usually with a simple procedure and possibly with local anesthesia only.

I Need a PS That Creates Belly Buttons?

+1

You cannot be certain that you will lose your belly button.  However, if you do there are techniques of reconstructing the belly button, neo-umbilicoplasty as it is known in PS terminology.  Fortunately it is not something that has to be done frequently because most plastic surgeons are familiar with maintaining the belly button during a tummy tuck.  The ones that I have been involved with have been a result of tummy tucks done by incompetent people posing as plastic surgeons or belly button loss during extensive umbilical hernia repair.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Creating a belly button

+1

A belly button can be created, but will most likely not be like an exact belly button.  Check with the ASPS website to find a plastic surgeon near you.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Not sure that you would lose your belly button

+1

If it has been a sufficient amount  of time since your umbilical float procedure, there is a very good chance that sufficient blood flow has been reestablished to keep the belly button alive on short stalk.  I would attempt standard abdominoplasty and see what happens.  If the belly button does not survive, I think you will have lost very little, and a reasonable umbilicus can still be reconstructed; if it survives, then it was a non-issue, and you avoid another level complexity and likely a less  natural appearing result.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Belly buttons and tummy tucks

+1

It may or may not be necessary to recreate a belly button in your situation. Often the "floated" belly button will survive conversion to a full tummy tuck. Think of it as a skin graft. If this fails, a new belly button is created by rearranging the healthy skin.

I have run into this situation most often with tummy tucks after an umbilical hernia. The umbilical stalk is often cut to repair the hernia, and the umbilicus usually survives well with a little modification of the umbilical portion of the procedure.

It is not possible to tell what the odds are in your particular situation without seeing you, but I am just over the hill in Walnut Creek if you would like to come into the office.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Creation of belly button after a previous floating abdominoplasty

+1

Providing that the belly button has healed and has adequate blood supply, a revisional conventional abdominoplasty could be performed safely. In case of unsatisfactory results or unacceptable belly button, a new umbilicus could be created by an experience plastic surgeon. It has been done many times.  

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon