PS Said 500 Cc HP Implants Because of Extra Skin. Im 5'8" 140 and Scarred of Complications? Can't I Get a Smaller Implant?

I don't want to be a D cup just a C but I breastfeed four children and have extra skin. What should I do surgery is on Monday and I already paid.

Implant Selection Process

+1

You may require a breast lift in combination with your augmentation depending on your breast mound shape and measurements.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Implants

+1

If you are not happy with the style or volume of the implant that has been recommended or chosen discuss this with your surgeon

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Implant size

+1

If you are not comfortable with your surgeon and your choice postpone your surgery and get another opinion.  I do not believe that putting in a larger implant to take up extra skin is a good idea unless you want that look. I would suggest a lift and a smaller implant.  This is without looking at your photos.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

+1

If you have extra skin, placing an overly large implant may stretch the skin further and may exacerbate the problem.  It would be helpful to see photos.  You may really need a lift done along with a smaller implant.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

500 cc High Profile Implant for 'Extra Skin'

+1

Hello Ssmith,

As you can see from the exuberant number of responses, the majority told you that even without photographs, a history of four breast fed children and the declaration of 'extra skin' by your potential doctor, the proper management of your likely situation is NOT with either a large implant or a high profile implant.  You are probably (can't be sure, no photos) a candidate for a breast lift and implants.

Implant size selection should not be based on your height or the status of your skin (whether or not your breasts droop).  It should be based on a number of physical parameters like your current breast width, the distance form the nipple to the bottom of the breast, tissue thickness, and tissue elasticity. However, if your breasts have characteristics that exhibit a certain degree of sagging, a breast lift should be considered in addition to obtain a normal result. The type of breast lift would depend on the specific characteristics and degree of drooping in your breasts; this might include a periareolar lift, a vertical lift, or a full/anchor lift.

High profile implants are perhaps the most misunderstood by both patients and, unfortunately, surgeons.  There is a sense among patients that high profile implants will give you the most upper pole fullness.  However, due to the geometry of the implant (approaching spherical), and the mass and pressure characteristics against your body tissue, it is the most unpredictable type of implant.  All too frequently, patients are left with a dropped out, ball-in-sock appearance of their breasts with little upper pole fullness.  Regardless of this, there are many surgeons that are enthusiastic with them, most likely because of how they make you look in the first few weeks after surgery.  It can be a very different picture in the subsequent months.  I am of the opinion that high profile implants have a very limited place in breast augmentation surgery.  However, if you want objective, unbiased data, you should know that high profile implants have the highest rate of complications in breast augmentation surgery.

It would behoove you to request your money back, regardless of the loss of a non-refundable portion.  You need to consult with a few surgeons expert in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery that includes lifts, reductions, and revisions of these surgeries.  These surgeons would undoubtedly be certified by the ABPS, and be members of the ASAPS.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Excess breast skin

+1

First, if you are not 100% committed to this surgery then I would suggest that you cancel/postpone it until all of your questions and concerns are addressed. 

Without photos it is difficult to tell you much.  Implants are designed to add volume to your breasts.  That is ALL they do.  They will do nothing to lift your breasts.  If you have excess skin and that skin is sagging then you might be a better candidate for a breast lift.  Again, it is difficult to tell without a photo to go by.

As for size, there is not a formula that plastic surgeons all use to determine which volume implant will work the best.  Each patient has to be evaluated individually in order to make the best determination.  If you have a question about the size or the surgery itself and your doctor is not able to address the issue adequately then you might want to get a second opinion elsewhere.  Most doctors don't charge for a consultation and it will give you a differing perspective.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Implants after pregnancies?

+1

Without photos or more of a history it is difficult to say what would be best for you. 500 cc implnats will most likely bump you up in cup size significantly.

Breast enhancement choices

+1

We really need to see a photograph and understand your breast dimensions to understand your choices.  Vectra 3D imaging is a wonderful tool for evaluating the breasts and understanding what an implant can and can not do.  IF you have a lot of sagging then the vectra does not work as well.   If you have a large amount of extra skin and sagging breasts and want a smaller breast size you may be better off considering a breast lift with a smaller implant.  

500 cc Implants? Should the Implants Be Smaller?

+1

In a taller or wider woman, 500 cc may take a small A cup to a large C cup.  If you have very little breast tissue, 500 cc may be appropriate.

Consider Postponing Your Surgery!

+1

A patient with extra skin, a history of breastfeeding 4 children, and a loss of breast volume in the vast majority of cases benefits from a breast augmentation with a lift.  Of course, seeing your photos would be important in determining a plan.  However, a 500cc HP implant is large, heavy, short, and tends to "bottom-out" in a patient with excess skin and low breasts.   If the only plan your doctor offers is a breast augmentation and you have reservations, I might postpone your surgery for a few weeks, and get some other opinions from board certified plastic surgeons!   You can obtain some nice breast lift results as seen on this site:

Stephen Bresnick, MD