Will A PRP Injection Increase Longevity Of Fat Transfer?

Hi .. my Dr says if fat injection for (a second Brazilian butt lift )is combined with PRP injection the fat would not disappear is that truth ? thank you

PRP for fat transfer

+3

Platelet rich plasma (PRP) is the procedure where your own blood is centrifuged (spinned) and all the growth factors are collected. The process takes less than 10 minutes to collect the plasma. It is known that growth factors are very important for wound healing. Fat transfer requires optimal conditions for the fat to survive. Theoretically, adding your own growth factors to the fat will increase the changes of fat survival by improving and stimulating the surrounding soft tissue to support the “take” of the fat.

Now, there are multiple studies that have shown that it might be beneficial to add PRP to the fat. There are also other studies that have shown no difference. In other words, results are controversial.

I routinely use PRP and mix the growth factors with the fat prior to transplantation. The cost is around $300.00. If it does not hurt the patient, why not use it? There is some evidence that it might help. Typically, I have a survival rate of more than 80% of fat injected. Now, does PRP help improve the survival of the fat or is it my experience and technique?   I would not be able to answer this question unless I make a longitudinal study.  It would require me to inject fat on one butt cheek with PRP and fat and one butt cheek without PRP and compare the results over the long-run.

PRP and fat transfer

+3

There is no concrete evidence that PRP can improve on the take of fat graft. It will increase the price, and time.

No scientific evidence yet

The only thing that PRP injection will do for sure is increase your costs

+2

Hi there-

Unfortunately, with so many doctors competing for patients nowadays, some doctors feel the need to resort to gimmicks in order to attract patients...

While there is as of yet absolutely no proof that addition of PRP will improve your outcome or the graft take, it will definitely increase your costs.

Considering the fact that in the hands of a good BBL surgeon the outcomes are excellent without PRP, this makes no sense to me.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS