Is It Proven That Something Called 3-D High Definition Endoscopic Rhinoplasty is a More Advanced Rhinoplasty Procedure?

I consulted with 2 plastic surgeons (in NY & MD) and am planning consulting with 2 more about a revision rhino. One of the doctors I am reading up on in New York City claims to have this new technique he developed that is better than any other. On his website he claims that other doctors don't use the technique because there is such a steep learning curve. Is this true, if so how that claim supported? I need to be sure before I schedule an appointment. Thanks, TB.

+3

Sounds more like marketing hype than reality.  The purpose of Rhinoplasty, IMHO, is the aesthetic improvement of the shape of the nose to one that's more naturally attractive.  This is most likely to be accomplished when the parts of the nose are under direct visualization...not while looking through a remote camera shot as its being manipulated.  Choose your Rhinoplasty Surgeon on his/her ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.

There is no such thing as 3-D Endoscopes. Some may use their eye and endoscopes looking back and forth and call it 3-D

+3

What is most important in rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty is looking at the doctor's results and make sure you are comfortable with their techniques, not some jargon used on a website. I did a teaching video on rhinoplasty in 3-D and consulted with the film-maker. There is no such thing as a 3-D endoscope. That would require two endoscopes with two cameras or a tiny 3-d camera with special lenses that doesn't exist.

There is 3-D imaging which is another way to do simulated imaging pre-op but has no bearing on the actual perfomance of surgery.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Trust Your Face To A Facial Plastic Surgeon

+3

This is a marketing phrase that does not have any real meaning.  I would recommend seeing other surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty  Make appointments for consultations with multiple surgeons. Look at lots of before and after photos. Board certification by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, The American Board of Otolaryngology or The American Board of Plastic Surgery is preferred. Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

3-D High Definition Endoscopic Rhinoplasty

+2

This is called marketing. Results may be good in this surgeon's hands but I'm not aware of any scientific studies that show this technique is better. I repeatedly say the same thing - pick the surgeon and the results, not the technique.

Good marketing and nothing else

+2

Be wary of claims of superiority of one technique over another. The proof is in the results. This surgeon must be savvy at marketing. I echo the opinions of the others in that I am not aware of this technique being better than others and can't see how an endoscope would help in performing rhinoplasty. To quote Flavor Flav, "Don't believe the hype!"

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

3-D Endoscopic Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

Im not aware of any studies that show any benefit to 3D endoscopic rhinoplasty. I know that this technique is used for hollow cavities in the body such as sinuses and the abdomen. I cant see how it would benefit sticking an endoscope under a nasal skin flap to correct bony and cartilage abnormalities, it would get pretty crowded with all those instruments. However, Id be interested in seeing this technique or learning more about it. See several surgeons before making any decisions.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplast

+2

3-DHigh Definition Endoscopic Rhinoplasty. It is a great marketin cofusing, sensless jargen to impress you. Run Away.

+2

I wouldn't say that 3-D high definition endoscopic rhinoplasty is proven to be better than a standard rhinoplasty. I'm not aware of any research or scientific publications showing the utility of this technique.

Rather than getting caught up in marketing jargon I would focus on a surgeon's long term results. 

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

3-D HD endoscopic rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is an art form perfected after performing thousands of rhinoplasty procedures.  An endoscope can be inserted into the nasal bridge line to look for any irregularities,but the procedure itself is still something of an art form that takes years to develop.  Endoscopic rhinoplasty is not a recommended procedure.

Beware of marketing gimmicks

+1

This, unfortunately, sounds mor of a gimmick than helpful medical "expertise". You should base your choice of surgeon by looking at his/her work and asking him/her questions. You will quickly be able to see if you and your surgeon are on the same page. That is ultimately how you will be able to achieve the cosmetic goals you want.

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon