What is Protocol if Lashes Are Growing Differentially Between Sides?

Since beginning generic latisse 2 months ago, my eyelashes are growing differentially, longer and darker on the left vs right. Should I adjust my application regiment or continue normal nightly routine until the better side is finished and then play catch-up on the right side, or might they never be alike? Also, in your opinion, might the Latisse brand name work better than the generic I have been using? Thank you

How to apply Latisse to get great results

+1

Uneven application can lead to uneven results.  This is how I tell my patients to use Latisse:

1.Place drop into cap of bottle.  Dip applicator brush into the cap, and apply to left upper eyelid from outside corner to inside corner.  You can then use the same applicator brush to apply the remaining medication to the right upper eyelid from outside corner to inside corner.
2.The following night, repeat, but apply to the right eyelid first and the left eyelid second.
3.Continue repeating the two steps above.

This method will 1) make your latisse and accompanying brushes last longer and 2) ensure even application between the two eyelids.  Don't use this method if you are suffering from eyelid irritation or any signs of eye infection, including conjunctivitis.

Houston Dermatologist

Uneven Growth of Lashes From Latisse

+1

If you are being careful to use equal amounts of Latisse to each eyelid, it is likely that if you simply continue using Latisse in the same fashion to both sides they will even out in time. There are approximately 100 to 150 eyelashes on each upper eyelid. The growth of eyelashes is cyclical, going through 3 stages: a growth phase, a transition phase, and a resting phase. At any given time, numerous hair follicles can be found in each of the different stages. It should therefore just be a matter of time until things even out. If the unevenness continues for several more months you can begin to use Latisse every other day to the side with the longer eyelashes. Latisse is a prescription-only medication and is the only solution that has been proven to stimulate the growth of eyelashes. There are no generic substitutions.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

There is no generic Latisse

+1

I am not sure to which medication you are referring because there is no generic Latisse at this point. While asymmetries are possible, I would talk with the physician who prescribed the medication about your concerns at this point.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon