How Can I Protect my Skin and Specially Under Eye Area from Ageing? (photo)

i have just turned 26. i have oily skin. i don't smoke. i have seen some friends of mine with fine lines under eyes and on the side of their eyes while they talk or laugh, i don't want it to happen with me. I use sunscreen with 20 Spf regularly and if I am out for long, i use sunscreen with Spf 50 all day. What else should i take care of for not getting wrinkles/fine lines ( on face and eyes area) in future and have younger looking skin forever?. As prevention is better than cure :)

Slow/prevent facial aging

+1

Dear Anuhsee,

The question you ask is a very good one. Sun protection is very important. SPF (sun protection factor) of 1 covers you for 15 minutes while SPF of 4 covers you for 1 hour. SPF of 100 is marketing, while SPF of 40-50 is reasonable. It is also important to make certain that your sunscreen has a physical barrier in it (Zinc or Titanium Dioxide) and it is sweat proof so it stays on. Vitamin C is a coenzyme for collagen production, while Retin A helps to optimize collagen production in the skin. Combined therapies, appropriate skin regimen, healthy living, and sun avoidance are excellent in preventing facial aging. When facial lines appear to start developing (the very early stages) then it is appropriate to consider other therapies such as Botox.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Web reference: http://www.larrabeecenter.com/botulinum-toxin-seattle/botox/

Protecting your Skin from Aging

+1

You have the right idea in trying to protect your skin from sun damage as this is the one thing that causes the most aging. However, relying on SPF will not help you, as this is worthless in reducing aging. SPF indicates only the amount of protection the product has from sun burn, the result of UVB exposure. New regulations by the FDA have also required that the products inform you how good they are in protecting you from UVA, the part of the sun causing aging and that is present all the time and makes up 97% of the sun that hits you. Many of the products protecting from UVA are impractical, however. The most practical is Zinc Oxide which now goes on clear and lasts until you wash or rub it off. Use of a product with 6-12% Zinc Oxide DAILY is the most practical method of protecting your skin. A study that was published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in June of this year showed a 26% reduction in skin aging over only 4 1/2 years between groups using a UVA protective sunscreen daily and those who used one only when they "went out in the sun." Congratulations on your efforts thus far; now take them to the next level.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Preventing under eye wrinkles

+1

Sunscreen, Retin-A, and Vitamin C.  You are doing the most important thing already and that is using sunscreen regularly.  Sun is the biggest preventable thing that causes under eye wrinkles.  It is best to use a sunscreen that has a physical block, not a chemical block.  The good ones use titanium or Zinc.  Don't worry those are clear now.  The next step is to use an antioxidant that helps stop the damage from the sun that gets through.  The best antioxidant for the skin is Vitamin C serum.  The good serums come in a dark bottle with an eyedropper.  The final step is Retin-A.  Retin-A helps reverse the sun damage that occurs. You will need to see a good cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist to see if Retin-A is right for you.  One more point.  Try to avoid rubbing your eyes.  The eyelid skin is very delicate and is damaged easily.  If you want to learn more about this, check out our blog at cosmetic-eyes.com look for the post called "great skin in three easy steps"

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon