Process Involved in Replacing Composite Veneers with Porcelain Veneers?

I currently have composite veneers over the top row of teeth. They need replacing so I am considering replacing them with porcelain vaneers. Will my composite vaneers need to be removed in order to shave down and take an impression/mould of my teeth? Will they be left bare until the porcelain veneers have been completed and applied? I'm concerned I won't be able to bar the sensitivity.

Process to replace composite veneers with porcelain

+1

I would definitely recommend changing those composite veneers to porcelain veneers. Porcelain is stronger, looks more natural, and lasts longer then composite. To answer your questions, yes your composite veneers would have to be removed in order to prepare the teeth and take an impression. The impression gets sent to the dental lab along with picture and instructions on how we want the veneers to look like. At that point, temporary veneers would be made, and cemented to your teeth with temporary cement. You would be leaving with something similar to your composite veneers. Because you have these temporaries cemented onto your teeth, you shouldn’t experience any sensitivity at all.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing composite veneers with porcelain veneers is a good and simple choice

+1

Replacing your existing composite veneers with porcelain veneers is a lot easier than you can imagine. They pretty easy to remove as composite is softer than porcelain and you can have an impression and temporary veneers (that will probably look better than the worn discolored old composite veneers) in that first visit. One visit later and you are ready to go with the permanent porcelain veneers in place. It's a great choice and you will find them more lustrous and long lasting. Happy smiles....

Gerry Curatola, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing composite veneers with porcelain

+1

When replacing composite veneers with porcelain your teeth will be prepared (thus the composite will be removed) and impression or digital scan will be taken of the teeth and your dentist should place temporaries to cover the prepared teeth. Two-three weeks later your veneers would be bonded into place.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers after Composte Veneers

+1

Porcelain veneers are a good choice after you have had composite veneers.  The porcelain will be more life-like and your smile / face more beautiful. :-).  Yes, the composite veneers will need to be removed and an impression taken of your teeth without the composite at the first preparation appointment.  You may or may not have sensitivity.  That will totally depend on now much enamel is removed. Further, you might or might not have temporary or provisional plastic veneers to help you between visits.  A good dentist will make this decision on a case by case basis and should be a part of the discussion the office has with you. If a lot of enamel has to be removed, then provisional veneers will definitely be needed to help you between visits.  Please discuss all these concerns with the dentist you choose.  Or better yet, interview several and see who feels right to you.  These different consults will help educate you on the process and give you a good feel for the office / doctor / staff.  This is an important step you are taking - ask to see some of the doctors work too.  Best of Luck to You!  Dr. N. Summer Lerch

Nancy Summer Lerch, DDS
New Haven Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing the composite veneers with porcelain

+1

The questions you put forth  are very common questions that any dentist even the non cosmetic ones will answer had you gone to them to discuss your teeth . So, I am assuming you have not gone to see the dentist about your decision. 

Once the teeth and the bite has been examined, the dentist will then determine if all or part of the old bonded composite is removed, as well as  any decay, which type of temporary  placed, and first and foremost whether you are a good candidate for veneers. 

Please chose a qualified cosmetic dentist and based on the condition of teeth underneath tyour treatment will be advised and procedure discussed.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing composite veneers with porcelain: The short version

+1

Make sure the dentist is experienced with this type of procedure. You should have pictures and study models taken to do a "wax-up" or mock-up of what the veneers will look like. You don't build a house without plans (blueprint), so you shouldn't build teeth without a wax-up (plan).  This plan is based on your particular smile, and tooth display desired.

Composite needs to be removed to get to clean tooth structure for proper bonding. Teeth are refined to establish margins. The amount of tooth reduction is dictated by the wax-up. Its possible that just by removing the composite there will be enough reduction. Generally need 0.5 to 1mm depending on situation. Impressions are made of prepared teeth and sent to lab. Temporary veneers are made by dentist before you leave the office (made from wax-up). The temporaries will protect the teeth from sensitivity as well as have you looking good for the 2 weeks or so that it takes to make the porcelain. Also, the temps are a "trial" set that you and the dentist can tweak to your liking. An impression of the temps taken after tweaking should be sent to the lab as guide for the finals.

Hope this helps

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing composite with porcelain

+1

The composite veneers should be completely removed if they are to be replaced with porcelain veneers.  The teeth will be protected with provisional or 'temporary' veneers while the porcelain veneers are fabricated.  These temporaries will seal and protect your teeth during the interim, and they should prevent any sensitivity issues.

Chad Colson, DMD
Greenville Cosmetic Dentist