Silicone Injections vs. Ear Cartilage for Nose Asymmetry?

What Are the Pros/cons of Getting Silicone Injections to Even Nose Symmetry Vs Ear Cartiledge Build Up/Rhino-Septo Revision?

Treatment for Nose Asymmetry with Rhinoplasty

+3

Hi brynze,

First, be very careful with any injections into the nose. The nose is very susceptible to color changes, discoloration, swelling, blood flow, pain, numbness, and other potential complications with inappropriate injections into the nose.

There isn't a filler on the market currently that is FDA approved for injection into the nose. Everything is being used off-label. Fillers should never be placed into the tip of the nose, since complications may more likely occur at the nasal tip. Fillers should only placed in the bridge to help smooth contour irregularities and to provide augmentation. Avoid silicone injections into the nose. Preferred fillers for the nonsurgical rhinoplasty are hyaluronic acid (Restylane) or Radiesse.

Nasal asymmetry is generally better improved with rhinoplasty surgery. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you . Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone in the Nose or anywhere else in the Body is a Bad Idea

+3
Liquid Silicone is best used to lubricate machinery and other moving parts. Experience has shown that injecting it in the body caused intense scarring. I strongly advise you not to. believe the hype and think there is anything new or beneficial to be obtained with such use. Dr Peter Aldea

Silicone Injections to the Nose

+3

My advice would be to avoid silicone injections to your nose or anywhere on your face or body.  Silicone injections are permanent and may lead to a lifetime of problems.  Please don't confuse silicone injections with silicone implants which are effective.  Other options include a surgical procedure to place a cartilage graft or injections with temporary fillers such as Juvederm or Radiesse.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Silicone Injections for nasal asymmetries

+2

There are two controversial issues here.  One is that many rhinoplasty surgeons will not put any foreign material into the nose including silicone implants, silicone injections or ePTFE.  The other controversial issue is the use of silicone injection anywhere at all.  There are those who would never do it and others who have three decades worth of experience and swear it is safe. 

My feeling is as follows:  While any injection may solve the problem, perhaps it wont.  So, put something that will not last forever in first and see how that works.  I prefer to inject Juvaderm in very small amounts and see if the patient likes it.  There is evidence that collagen may be formed with that type of injection and that further injections are not required.  And, Juvaderm can be reversed quickly if it does not look good.  

Philip Miller, MD

Silicone injections not recommended for the nose

+2

It is always best to use septal cartilage when reconstructing the nose. If it is a cartilage-depleted nose, the second best option is to have ear cartilage used. Silicone injections are not FDA approved and are just not a good idea to have done in the nose.  

Silicone Injections, rhinoplasty, revision rhinoplasty, asymmetry, turkish delight

+2

I think the short answer to this question is silicone is not a good idea. Though some surgeons truly swear by it, it has generally gone out of favor for many reasons, not the least of which is that it causes granulomas, inflammation, and erratic results. Cartilage grafts are generally an excellent idea. There are numerous variations on how these are prepared and applied. Some even have quite cute names--my personal favorite is the Turkish Delight, which is essentially a morcellized cartilage graft wrapped in fascia, developed by...you guessed it, Turkish surgeons. The point is: the key is to clearly identify and correct the problem. There are several effective ways to do this, and a ear cartilage graft is certainly one good way.

Srdjan Ostric, MD

Beware of silicone injections

+2

Nose asymmetry following septorhinoplasty can occur from several different problems.  The best solution is to find the source of the problem and solve the underlying issues.  Sometimes the best solution is to camouflage the deformity with the use of cartilage grafts.  However, I would be very reluctant to use silicone injections and introduction of any other foreign body into the area of septorhinoplasty to correct asymmetries.  It is an invitation for granuloma formation and potential irreparable skin damage..

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Nose Asymmetry - Silicone Injections vs. Ear Cartilage / Septorhinoplasty

+2

After reading each experts opinions of the 10 posted 1 was in favour,  9 totally against and one fence. Love Dr Aldea's post. While Dr Placik's has some merit but why not use Radiesse instead. Just some thoughts exchanging here. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. BLINSKI

Rhinoplasty revision

+2
Silicone injections are not a good idea for rhinoplasty revisions. They are associated with a lot of problems. I would recommend a filler like Radiesse for short term correction or cartilage for longer term correction.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Silicone in the nose

+2

Silicone injections to the nose or any other region of the face is not necessarily a good idea. Silicone injection is not FDA approved for facial fill.  There is a long history of problems with injections of silicone.