What Are the Pros and Cons of Lumineers?

What should be considered when looking into getting Lumineers?

There are No Pros to doing Lumineers

+2

I don't have a problem with no-prep veneers if a patient doesn't want their teeth prepared and is willing to accept the less than perfect result. The result is often bulky and the color not uniform.  

My problem is with the Lumineers themselves.  To be kind the porcelain is not the best quality porcelain available.  I urge patients not to waste their money!

Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers have their place, but it's a narrow range of cases

+1

I agree with what has been said here to date.  That said,  for a very narrow range of cases, I can see a place for them, at least in theory.  However, even the cases shown in the company's promotional materials don't look very good to me.  

I LOVE the idea of prepless veneers when it is appropriate.  There is an alternative to Lumineers, called Durathin, which entails a significant training process for the dentist and only one lab is able to provide the veneers.  

I have personally seen several astonishing results without the bulky margins and lifeless esthetics typically associated with prepless veneers.  This requires a highly skilled and trained dentist and an exceptional lab.  The cost will be higher than lumineers, but as the old saying goes, "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of lower cost subsides."

Best wishes!

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Lumineers, porcelain laminate veneers

+1

Don't ever do Lumineers unless you have white straight teeth with big spaces in-between. They tend to be bulky at the gum line and easily chip and will not mask out dark natural teeth underneath. Even the manufacturer, Denmat, claims they only last 10 years. CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!

Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist